silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Below are a few of my thoughts about a new build that I'm contemplating. I want it to be a gaming/storage monster. Money is not a major object (that does not mean I don't appreciate value). As it stands now my current PC is good for everything I need now. I think a NAS is a waste for me since my storage needs are not overly excessive. This may be TMI since my question really is; Should I wait for Ivy Bridge and the 600/7000 series GPUs? Mostly I don't want to have to upgrade for a long time (>2yrs) after I build this. What do your brilliant minds say?

Approximate Purchase Date: Q1-2 2012

Budget Range: <$3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, data storage (movies, TV), internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com (anyone w/ APO/FPO shipping and low prices)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Leaning towards i7 2600k, (should I wait for IB?)

Overclocking: Yes - med~high

SLI or Crossfire: not right away. there are single cards that will meet my needs for now. I will double up in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (would like to see >60 fps on Crysis at max)

Additional Comments: I prefer a case that is understated (not blingy), has great airflow, noise is not a huge issue since I will most likely be using headphones or be in another room (streaming media). SSD boot drive (at least 128G, prefer 256G), at least 5TB usable in RAID 5.

PS: I am a fan of performance overkill. Anything woth building is worth overbuilding.

Solution
Yes, you should because "As it stands now my current PC is good for everything I need now".

buy later when some super game runs choppy on your pc.

p.s. the only thing i never regretted is buying the CHASSIS!
CoolerMaster Cosmos-S. I feel my Corei7 and gtx260 needs an upgrade.
Im contemplating on buying a NAS Storage or a huge 4-8tb of external HDD.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Yes, you should because "As it stands now my current PC is good for everything I need now".

buy later when some super game runs choppy on your pc.

p.s. the only thing i never regretted is buying the CHASSIS!
CoolerMaster Cosmos-S. I feel my Corei7 and gtx260 needs an upgrade.
Im contemplating on buying a NAS Storage or a huge 4-8tb of external HDD.

Solution

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks guys! I was leaning that way. The only reason I was asking is that I am impatient. I forgot to mention that my current PC is basically set up as an overpowered HTPC. However it does not have the storage capacity I would like and due to limited hardware (case & mobo) it probably never will. Thus, I want to build a gaming machine with loads of storage and network it so that I can stream video to my current PC.
I think if the hardware on the new build is sufficiently advanced this setup could serve me a very long time. It just seems my impatience has hit at an inconvenient time, with the new gen intel CPUs and NVIDEA/AMD GPUs just around the corner.
Guess I'll just suck it up and deal for another 6 months ;) That way I will not get buyers remorse when the new hardware is released.
Again thanks for your help.