Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

700-800 budget first time build. need advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2011 5:36:25 AM

Hi, this is my first time build and i need advice. are these parts good enough?
please give me advice, because im trying to order the parts soon.




total :$808.59 before rebate.

Thanks in Advance!!!
October 17, 2011 6:09:46 AM

It looks pretty good. The one thing I will say is that I'm running dual 550s and it's a pretty nice setup but the 550 is hardly the most advanced video card you can get for the price. If it's remotely possible try bumping it up to a 560 and see what that does. If not I'd suggest maybe trying a Radeon 6850 - you can get the Sapphire basic model for like $160 - that shouldn't really do anything to your budget.

And if you insist on getting a full tower, I don't think that would work for that budget. I'd actually bump that down to the 300 Illusion - that case has everything you will need for a basic build - and I'd invest the difference on getting a better video card. That's just my suggestion.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 6:15:09 AM

Don't get the 550ti, either get a Radeon 6790 for the same price or get a 6850/6870 for 10-20 dollars more. Or even a 460. Or if you really wanna step it up get a 560Ti.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 6:21:55 AM

If the main purpose of your build is for gaming, I would hold off on an SSD until later and put the money towards a real vid card. The 550 is a dog.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 Free Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z68P3G3 $119.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA1155

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-2500KBX $213.99 Free Shipping 10% off your order (max $10) w/ code: HOOT, ends 10/17
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail - BX80623I52500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 FREE SHIPPING
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%... <----- A better look at that board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that board on newegg + shipping
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 10:12:55 AM

8gb of ram is not necessary for my build?
and the pro3 gen3 is better then the extreme3 gen3?
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 10:15:04 AM

pokettomonstua said:
8gb of ram is not necessary for my build?
and the pro3 gen3 is better then the extreme3 gen3?


It's not better but the pro3 gen3 is $20 cheaper and more or less the same as the extreme3 gen3 minus a few features that you won't need.
4gb is standard right now and 8gb is future proofing.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 10:22:59 AM

pokettomonstua said:
8gb of ram is not necessary for my build?
and the pro3 gen3 is better then the extreme3 gen3?

The pro 3 board is a single card board, and the extreme3 is meant for dual cards.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 8:10:59 PM

ubicray said:
Get these
This HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Radeon HD6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This PSU(You'll need less power with 6850): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And get 4GB of ram for now it'll be more than enough...and you'll be able to upgrade later :) 
EDIT:And get PRO3 GEN3,it'll be cheaper and it's way lighter than Extreme3 gen3 :) 


ya. thx for the advice because i heard from a friend that radeon gpu take up alot of power.
how much watts do i need for 6870 and is modular psu better then regular one?
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 8:25:39 PM

pokettomonstua said:
ya. thx for the advice because i heard from a friend that radeon gpu take up alot of power.
how much watts do i need for 6870 and is modular psu better then regular one?

Don't be listening to your friend. An AMD card uses a lot less juice than an Nvidia card. The Nvida cards run cooler...so it's a trade off. For dual 6870's a 650w psu is ideal.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 8:31:33 PM

Why_Me said:
Don't be listening to your friend. An AMD card uses a lot less juice than an Nvidia card. The Nvida cards run cooler...so it's a trade off. For dual 6870's a 650w psu is ideal.


lol. that make sense. would a corsair 500w handle hd 6870? or i should drop it to 6850
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 8:36:46 PM

pokettomonstua said:
lol. that make sense. would a corsair 500w handle hd 6870? or i should drop it to 6850

It will handle it easily. The Corsair Builders series psu though is a dog. It's manufactured by CWT for Corsair.
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 3:28:46 AM

if mobo has 3.0 pci-e x16 slot doesn 2.0 gpu work?
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 3:36:02 AM

pokettomonstua said:
if mobo has 3.0 pci-e x16 slot doesn 2.0 gpu work?

Yep it works.
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 6:27:45 AM

Check my sig :) 

i5 2500k + HD6950 for $800 including OS.
m
0
l
October 18, 2011 8:07:09 PM

Zero_ said:
Check my sig :) 

i5 2500k + HD6950 for $800 including OS.


thx. i check it out, but is the mobo stable?
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 2:55:47 AM

Antec is as good as Corsair when it comes to PSU's, especially in the budget models.

Stable as in how?
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 4:25:19 AM

I think XFX core edition is everything you need :) 
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 6:32:26 AM

Zero_ said:
Antec is as good as Corsair when it comes to PSU's, especially in the budget models.

Stable as in how?


is it a good mobo?
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 6:40:13 AM

Antec and Corsairs are Power Supply Units.
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 10:02:46 AM

pokettomonstua said:
is it a good mobo?

Yes, quality wise, but a little low on features due to the low price. It doesn't have USB3 and only supports x16/x4 crossfire.

Spend a little more and get the ASUS board from the $1000 build. It costs $30 more.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 2:49:23 AM

Zero_ said:
Yes, quality wise, but a little low on features due to the low price. It doesn't have USB3 and only supports x16/x4 crossfire.

Spend a little more and get the ASUS board from the $1000 build. It costs $30 more.


ya. Thanks!!

do you know how many watts of psu do i need to run a amd hd 6950?
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 2:55:05 AM

pokettomonstua said:
do you know how many watts of psu do i need to run a amd hd 6950?

A good 500W should do.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 7:46:06 PM

Zero_ said:
A good 500W should do.


alright cool.thx
m
0
l
!