Problems booting up (suspected PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benftf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Here is what is happening.. I hit my power button, all my fans light up and spin for about a second, then it all goes dead. When i turn my PSU on, my mouse lights up. So I'm still getting a draw from it. It started doing this today when I set it all back up (had been cleaning it with duster. I do this regularly and have been for years so I'm 100% positive that I didnt screw anything up when i pieced it back together.) Is my PSU the culprit? Or does it at least sound PSU related? I couldn't see what else it might be. And I'm really hoping it's not anything else. It had JUST started doing this today. I set it all back up, turned it on and walked away cause it had started booting up like normal. I came back to see it not on. SO.. when i started to boot it back up, this issue keeps occurring. I haven't had a successful boot all day. I put a lot of money into recently upgrading my machine, everything EXCEPT the PSU. So if thats the issue, I'm ok with that. If its not, I might lose my temper a little bit. Thoughts?

Solution
Rosewill Value II Series 600W (RV2-600)
• OEM: ATNG
• maximum combined +12 Volt current rating of 45 Amps
• one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Warranty: 1 Year
• Efficency: Not Certified
• No Active-PFC

Note that it's 600 Watts Peak Power not Continuous Power. Peak Power can only be maintained for a few seconds. No doubt the +12V current rating is also a peak rating and not a continuous rating.

I think this is one of the models that earned Rosewill a bad reputation for power supplies before they started to clean up their act.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with its two (6+2)-pin PCI Express...
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 470 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

That's the minimum power supply requirements. It's always better to have more than the minimum if you're planning any overclocking.

You never specified your system configuration so who knows.

benftf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
AMD FX 8120 8 core processor
8gb ddr3 gskill
gigabyte 990 fx amd3 amd3+ mobo
nvidia gtx 470
rosewill 550 watt power supply
WD 6 gb xfer speed HDD 500gb

how u knew i had a 470 is beyond me. i do OC my card a little bit.. and my proc is OC'd at 3.5 instead of 3.1. Do you think i could have overloaded it at some point and ruined it?

On a side note, does this still sound PSU related or is there a high chance it could be something else?

thespieler

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

My moneys on your PSU :p

You must have one of these four Rosewill 550W models:

Rosewill Performance Series 550W (RP550V2-D-SL)
• combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps
• two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Warranty: 3 Years
• No Active-PFC

Rosewill Performance Series 550W (RP550V2-S-SL)
• combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps
• two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• No Active-PFC

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 550W (CAPSTONE-550)
• OEM: Super Flower
• combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Warranty: 5 Years
• Efficency: 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
• Active-PFC with auto AC-input voltage adjustment(100-240V)

Rosewill HIVE Series 550W (HIVE-550)
• OEM: Sirtec
• combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Efficency: 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
• Active-PFC with auto AC-input voltage adjustment(100-240V)

The first two models don't meet the minimum power supply requirements to run a system with a single GeForce GTX 470.

The last model just meets the minimum requirements.

The third model is best out of the four and should have been the one you should have purchased. It would have the best chance of handling your overclocking.

benftf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182039

turns out this is the one i have. its a rosewill 600watt PSU, but i think it only has a current rating of 25 amps? someone mind double checking that for me? if thats the case, then im definitely sure its the PSU

and could anyone tell me if this PSU would get the job done?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6256814&CatId=1483

if so, they have em at BB just down the road and im gonna go pick one up.

Rosewill Value II Series 600W (RV2-600)
• maximum combined +12 Volt current rating of 45 Amps
• one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
• Warranty: 1 Year
• No Active-PFC

Note that it's 600 Watts Peak Power not Continuous Power. Peak Power can only be maintained for a few seconds. No doubt the +12V current rating is also a peak rating and not a continuous rating.

I think this is one of the models that earned Rosewill a bad reputation for power supplies before they started to clean up their act.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with its two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power a system with a single GeForce GTX 470. It should be able to handle any overclocking of the CPU and GPU you can throw at it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.