Sign in with
Your question

Mid range gaming pc build?

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2011 6:44:33 AM

Hi guys I am looking to build a new light gaming pc/htpc for my pj room. Basically its for some gaming and also to be used as a htpc. I am hoping to get full 1080p gaming at some point but basically just need help in the cpu/mobo/ram/ps dept currently. I dont care about playing on super high resolutions or anything I just want to play games like 2k12, total wars, etc at 1080p with pretty high settings. I would like to get the basic built for as cheap as possible and spend good money on a gfx card towards Dec. I have a 5670 I can use as a gfx card til I decide on that aspect later.

I have been looking at i5's but wonder if thats overkill and maybe amd is a better option? What do you think the best ram/mobo/case/psu/cpu combo would be for around 300 bucks? With gfx card being purchased later.

Approximate Purchase Date: asap

Budget Range: 2-400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: general use, light gaming, htpc

Parts Not Required: hard drive, disc drives, gfx card, monitor, keyboard, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tigerdirect whatever really

Country of Origin: USA

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

More about : mid range gaming build

October 18, 2011 6:39:07 AM

An i5 is way overkill if you are going for a general use PC.

Check the $600 build in my sig. Should fit in your budget taking out the parts you already have.
m
l
October 18, 2011 6:45:28 AM

Do you live close to a Microcenter? If you do they have some great combos with the i5-2500k processor for about 230-250, which leaves 50 for ram and 50 for psu, because if you want an i5-2500k, you are going up to 350, sorry.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 7:21:12 AM

Basically I am trying to build something where the cpu isn't going to be an issue in the next few years for gaming. It seems if I go 1155 I have more upgrade potential even if I go with a i3.

Don't live near a microcenter being in Indianapolis unfortunately. So if I go i5 does anyone have suggestions on a decent combo. If I can get a decent mobo i5 for around 250 I will go that route.

Also do you think a 6870 will be sufficient to get my 1080p gaming in on games like 2k12, shogun etc with the i5?

You think its worth waiting til black friday to buy?
m
l
October 18, 2011 7:34:18 AM

Take the two hours and drive out here to Columbus or Cincinnati. Yes the 1155 will have better upgrade ability. And a 6870 will work, the gpu will be the bottleneck however that can be upgraded in another year or you can Crossfire.

If you can, wait, I am. Sales always rock, between Black Friday and Cyber Monday (newegg, amazon) you will see some good deals.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:10:09 AM

Yea thats what I am leaning too. Cincy isnt a far drive at all might make for a good roadtrip on Black friday. Ill update this thread the week before and see what you guys think. Thanks
m
l
!