Sign in with
Your question

Intel Boot Agent

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 1:57:09 PM

I have a problem with the BIOS of an Intel DZ77GA-70K MB. I just built this box a few weeks ago. From the splash screen of a cold boot a black screen appears with a process called "Intel Boot Agent" timing out. If allowed to time out you're taken to a screen requiring a re-boot. Pressing the reset button results in a normal boot. The BIOS is a multi-page graphical type with tons of options. You'd think there would be some help but not so. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to get rid of this "boot agent" option. No joy. The Intel "manual" consists of references to a large group of web pages. If I must I will sort through all the web pages but I was hoping someone here is familiar with this situation. Thanks in advance.

More about : intel boot agent

a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 3:15:26 PM

Thanks for this although it wasn't much good. All references were to a Dell BIOS plus the post is 4 years old. Not much similarity and I've already tried the equivalent fixes in my BIOS. I've looked through some of the referenced web pages and so far can't find any reference to "boot agent". Any more suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 3:25:39 PM

I can't find the manual for your board, so I can't look for setting in BIOS. Can you point to a link?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 4:34:07 PM

alexoiu said:
I can't find the manual for your board, so I can't look for setting in BIOS. Can you point to a link?

There is no manual. Only a large diagram showing how to set up the MB physically. The BIOS options are only referred to by link.

www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-020304...

Troubleshooting link is:

www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780...

I could fin nothing in either location relative to "Intel boot agent". I've just had another go at the BIOS settings and made no progress. This will be my last Intel MB.
m
l
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 4:41:48 PM

Have you looked in Advanced > Peripheral Configuration Menu for Onboard LAN Boot Rom? See if it is enabled or disabled.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 6:19:10 PM

alexoiu said:
Have you looked in Advanced > Peripheral Configuration Menu for Onboard LAN Boot Rom? See if it is enabled or disabled.

I have looked at every screen in the BIOS although I don't remember one about a LAN BOOT ROM. Here's the funny part. This did not happen when I first built the box. To me that means it's in response to something I've done. However, it does NOT go away when defaults are enabled. Go figure.
m
l
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 6:23:15 PM

Have you connected some additional devices (USB or PCI) since you've first started/built it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 6:43:52 PM

alexoiu said:
Have you connected some additional devices (USB or PCI) since you've first started/built it?

Yes, I have. I just remembered when it began. The USB device is a card reader and I have just re-confirmed that the Intel Boot Agent only deploys when the card reader is plugged into one of the USB ports on the MB. What do you make of that?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 7:32:20 PM

alexoiu said:
Try this utility from Intel: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm or check in BIOS, Boot options what is the first booting device. If Intel Boot Agent, move it from there.

The term "BOOT AGENT" is not present in the BIOS. I did a search. The boot sequence is correct. I have seen this utility before but have not used it because the network adapter listed in my device manager isn't on the "used on" list for the utility.
m
l
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 7:48:31 PM

No other ideas. Try connecting the card reader only when you need it, after the PC started.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 8:00:44 PM

I thought of that too. It wouldn't be much of a hardship as I don't use it much. I just hate letting something like this get the better of me. Thanks for trying.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 10:17:20 PM

I'm thinking now that I have a bad MB. I made a very minor change to the BIOS and now I can't even enter the BIOS. Will call Newegg tomorrow.
m
l
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 16, 2012 3:54:26 AM

Try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes). It will set the BIOS settings to default.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2012 11:28:22 AM

alexoiu said:
Try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes). It will set the BIOS settings to default.

I may do that but if this is going to recur I'd prefer to get another MB while it's still under warranty.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2012 2:26:25 PM

Good news. I flashed he BIOS attempting to re-gain entry and was successful. The defaults were reset which reversed the small change I made yesterday which precipitated the failed BIOS entry. Also, there are a few conspicuous changes in the new BIOS and (I suspect) the Intel Boot Agent has been removed, I hope. I plugged in my card reader and the boot was normal where previously the Intel Boot Agent captured the boot process. So, good news all around. I'll post again if bad things recur.
m
l
!