Digital camera image size

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 12, 2005 10:27:50 AM

I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest resolution then scale them down to what
is selected by the user or do they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:28:00 PM

Dave wrote:
> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
> they use less pixels for smaller sizes?

I believe they are all scaling it down post exposure.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:28:01 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>>resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
>>they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
>

> I believe they are all scaling it down post exposure.

That is correct. Otherwise the field of view would change, and the
viewfinder would be worthless.
April 12, 2005 2:29:24 PM

Well if they used less pixels you wouldn't get all of the image.... guess
you could use every other pixel... ;-)

Guy

Dave wrote:
> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
> they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:34:08 PM

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in news:QoN6e.1037
$BS.831@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

> Dave wrote:
>> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
>> they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
>
> I believe they are all scaling it down post exposure.

No. The D2X's speed mode, for example, uses only part of the sensor.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:49:11 PM

Dave <dwilson@mailinator.com> writes:
>I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>resolution then scale them down to what
>is selected by the user or do they use less pixels for smaller sizes?

If you merely select a different output image size, the camera will
generally capture at full resolution and downsample via firmware.

But if you use "digital zoom", that uses data from only a portion of the
sensor. That data may then be either enlarged (upsampled) or
downsampled depending on the combination of digital zoom factor and
output image size you select.

Dave
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:24:37 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:28:00 +0100, Joseph Meehan wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
>> they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
>
> I believe they are all scaling it down post exposure.

Isn't in higher ISO settings the camera uses less pixels and then
interpolate to produce a full image ?

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:16:41 PM

Dave <dwilson@mailinator.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or
> do they use less pixels for smaller sizes?

The sensor has one, fixed, resolution; that's the only thing it can
deliver. Any larger or smaller sizes offered are produced by image
processing in the camera.
April 13, 2005 6:52:05 AM

Dave wrote:
> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest resolution then scale them down to what
> is selected by the user or do they use less pixels for smaller sizes?

All Digicams CAPTURE at their maximum pixel count.
They SAVE the image at whatever size you specify.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:09:31 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:24:37 GMT, Gautam Majumdar
<gmajumdar@XSPAMfreeuk.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:28:00 +0100, Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>>> resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
>>> they use less pixels for smaller sizes?
>>
>> I believe they are all scaling it down post exposure.
>
>Isn't in higher ISO settings the camera uses less pixels and then
>interpolate to produce a full image ?

that's the weirdest concept I've heard in a very long time .. so plse
argument this funny concept ?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:57:02 PM

Bigguy wrote:
> Well if they used less pixels you wouldn't get all of the image.... guess
> you could use every other pixel... ;-)
>
> Guy
>
> Dave wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering if digital cameras always take images at their highest
>>resolution then scale them down to what is selected by the user or do
>>they use less pixels for smaller sizes?

I keep seeing that question asked about once a week lately, in exactly
the same phrasing. I didn't notice if it is the same person asking or
not. I know it is a frequently asked question, but asked exactly the
same way, with the same words??
!