January 17, 2012 4:27:37 AM

Hi guys,
These are the relevant details that you will need I hope:
Motherboard: a785ge Biostar
CPU model: ADX6000CZBOX
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper Tx3
PSU: 450w Corsair
Kingston 2x2GB Ram

I screwed up my CPU fan's wire a month back when cleaning the insides of the cabinet (very dusty environment I live in.) So, I brought the above mentioned cooler.

Since then I have been having frequent freezes, crashing and what not. I thought it might been some driver errors and reinstalled Windows 7, then even tried Ubuntu (hate it, love it sometimes) and nothing worked. Kept on having the same problems randomly. I installed Windows again. Sometime I would face the blue screen and otherwise it would just work perfectly. Today morning my computer won't start and I got a black screen error when Windows started. After 10 mins of being off the comp started normally but restarted immediately after being fully booted for a few seconds. Then all I got was the screen telling me I need a valid device to boot from.

I am typing this from a live booted Ubuntu pendrive. (God bless Linux, sometimes). I am even able to run SECOND LIFE from here so I am not sure what exactly the fault is in. Ubuntu SMART tests have shown my HDD to be healthy.

I hear a very faint and short single beep from the insides of the comp when booting. Maybe that's just normal.

I searched online for my problem and somewhere they suggested putting all the thermal paste and going through the cooler installation again. I must admit that I did apply the thermal paste a bit more carelessly than in the past (didn't use a card to spread it, just put in the tear drops of the paste) but I don't see the processor heat as a problem since Speccy in Windows and BIOS when restarting gives my Processor temp around 35 to 45 degress C. So, if anyway I could avoid having to remove the whole damn thing again would be great!

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
January 17, 2012 5:25:13 AM

"I screwed up my CPU fan's wire a month back when cleaning the insides of the cabinet (very dusty environment I live in.)" - what do you mean by this? Does your CPU fan stopped working? Please explain in more detail as you mentioned this is the root cause of your problem. We just need to understand how it became such & how to fix it.
Score
January 17, 2012 5:29:41 AM

Sorry, that was stupid of me to miss out the important part. After I screwed up the stock fan, I brought a brand new Cooler Master TX3 which seems to work perfectly (the low temps I have mentioned). So now the rest of the freezing problems I want the solution to.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 18, 2012 6:28:05 AM

ldc said:

I must say that I searched online for my problem and somewhere they suggested putting all the thermal paste and going through the cooler installation again. I must admit that I did apply the thermal paste a bit more carelessly than in the past (didn't use a card to spread it, just put in the tear drops of the paste) but I don't see the processor heat as a problem since Speccy in Windows and BIOS when restarting gives my Processor temp around 35 to 45 degress C. So, if anyway I could avoid having to remove the whole damn thing again would be great!
I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Well, as distasteful as it might be, perhaps resetting your CPU cooler might be the most logical thing to do.
The low temperature you see might only be true when your PC runs in idle. But once load is applied, the CPU might overheat due to poor CPU cooler contacts & cause your CPU to overheat.
The only proof that there is no processor heat problem is if your PC can survive stress test. The freezes & crashes are symptoms or overheating too.
January 19, 2012 8:04:13 AM

That evening when I waited for the replies I pulled apart everything and put them back together to make sure everything is put properly. So far no crashes. Hope it goes that way. :) 

I must add though that it doesn't make sense that the CPU heat might have caused the crashes otherwise ( as I mentioned before) the computer wouldn't have run seamlessly from the live booted Ubuntu for hours on end.
Score
January 19, 2012 8:04:23 AM

Best answer selected by ldc.
Score
!