Sign in with
Your question

Screen tear

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2011 2:23:02 PM

not exactly sure if this is the right forum category but here's my problem.

i've always had horrible screen tearing for as long as i can remember.. perhaps i just notice it more than the average person, or perhaps it's hardware/software related.. though i've tried different graphics cards, motherboards, processors, monitors, cables, all with the same problem. i've also noticed (maybe placebo) that when i watch other people game on their pcs that their screens dont tear nearly as much.

USUALLY i can just suck it up and turn v-sync on in my games, which will fix the problem, or minimize it to where i can deal with it..but a couple games are just ridiculous. borderlands, and metro 2033 are my main ones, especially the latter. the screen tears any time i move a centimeter . the horizontal line doesn't move, but instead there are often multiple horizontal lines on my screen at once in the same place.. there is no v sync option in the game, forcing v sync from ccc doesn't work, and changing the .cfg file doesn't work.. finally i tried a program called d3doverrider which made it go away completely! that's dandy and all, but surely i shouldn't have to use an obscure program just to play games when the majority of pc gamers don't have this issue.

does anyone have any suggestions as to why i suffer from screen tearing more than the usual person and how to fix it? it drives me nuts!

More about : screen tear

August 17, 2011 4:50:54 PM

steimlem said:
not exactly sure if this is the right forum category but here's my problem.

i've always had horrible screen tearing for as long as i can remember.. perhaps i just notice it more than the average person, or perhaps it's hardware/software related.. though i've tried different graphics cards, motherboards, processors, monitors, cables, all with the same problem. i've also noticed (maybe placebo) that when i watch other people game on their pcs that their screens dont tear nearly as much.

USUALLY i can just suck it up and turn v-sync on in my games, which will fix the problem, or minimize it to where i can deal with it..but a couple games are just ridiculous. borderlands, and metro 2033 are my main ones, especially the latter. the screen tears any time i move a centimeter . the horizontal line doesn't move, but instead there are often multiple horizontal lines on my screen at once in the same place.. there is no v sync option in the game, forcing v sync from ccc doesn't work, and changing the .cfg file doesn't work.. finally i tried a program called d3doverrider which made it go away completely! that's dandy and all, but surely i shouldn't have to use an obscure program just to play games when the majority of pc gamers don't have this issue.

does anyone have any suggestions as to why i suffer from screen tearing more than the usual person and how to fix it? it drives me nuts!

Wow if this isnt an adertisement for software I dont know what is haha, the entire premise for this problem is BS. The only time I have ever had screen tearing in a game is when a specific graphics driver or an imature game build was at fault. Implying it happens regurdless of the game and stating it happens reguardless of the hardware the person is running is major BS. -FAIL
m
l
August 18, 2011 4:55:47 AM

i wasn't trying to advertise at all.. i seem to get screen tearing constantly no matter what i try .. i was just listing that program as the only thing that makes it go away to help troubleshoot possibly. i get it in every single game i play, and very noticeably until v sync is turned on in game or that program is used. different drivers don't seem to help. 2 different monitors have the same exact problem as do 2 different video cards, etc. i have no idea why it happens so much to me, just seeing if anyone knew of anything that was notorious for causing an abundance of screen tearing that i could look into.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2011 4:56:38 AM

and your reply that you never have screen tearing just further enforces my problem. how come no one else seems to have screen tearing this bad only me? for the life of me i can't figure out why
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2011 6:02:17 AM

what hardware are you working with?
m
l
!