Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD's FM1 Socket / Cooler Compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 4:51:49 AM

I feel like I should know the answer to this... so I've just picked up the K series APU. I haven't built an AMD based system since 2005. Looking at the motherboard, the retention mechanism looks exactly like AM2/AM3. I'm kinda shopping around for an aftermarket cooler just to see what's out there. Socket FM1 isn't even an option on newegg as of right now, and I just search manually. Can I assume AM2 or AM3 coolers or both of them are compatible with FM1? I think it is, and if so, it makes it a lot easier for me to re-purpose an old cooler I have laying around.

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 17, 2012 5:30:57 AM

Hello clonazepam;

Any Most AM3 coolers are going to also fit FM1 and AM3+ sockets.
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 17, 2012 5:37:34 AM

Starting to see MFGR webpages getting updated. The online webstore listing will probably lag behind.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Score
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 17, 2012 5:40:39 AM

From the CoolerMaster website:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Score
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 7:38:54 AM

I have an FM1 rig for HTPC, i threw an old Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, fitted perfectly, didnt cost me a penny as it was sitting in my garage, oh and is much cooler and quieter than the crappy AMD stock cooler.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 8:20:16 AM

I find that the newer stock heatsinks are getting worse...
Score
a c 100 à CPUs
January 17, 2012 12:30:47 PM

clonazepam said:
I feel like I should know the answer to this... so I've just picked up the K series APU. I haven't built an AMD based system since 2005. Looking at the motherboard, the retention mechanism looks exactly like AM2/AM3. I'm kinda shopping around for an aftermarket cooler just to see what's out there. Socket FM1 isn't even an option on newegg as of right now, and I just search manually. Can I assume AM2 or AM3 coolers or both of them are compatible with FM1? I think it is, and if so, it makes it a lot easier for me to re-purpose an old cooler I have laying around.

AMD has not changed the clamp-on heatsink retention mechanism for their CPUs since the original Athlon 64 debuted in 2003, so any clamp-on heatsink from that time period or newer (including your 2005 unit's heatsink) will work on an AM3+ or FM1 board, provided the heatsink isn't too large and hits DIMM slots, capacitors, etc. The only thing that has changed between 2003 and the present is that AMD changed the bolt pattern for the retention bracket (went from two bolts to four bolts) with Socket AM2, which means an old bolt-through heatsink from the 940/754/939 era won't work with a newer board. However, there aren't that many bolt-through AMD desktop heatsinks since the clamp-on mechanism works pretty well.

amdfangirl said:
I find that the newer stock heatsinks are getting worse...

I don't think that is the case as much as the TDPs of the newer chips are overall lower than that of older chips. AMD has three or four heatsinks that it routinely uses. The first is the nice heatpipe-equipped unit used with the 125-140 watt chips. The second is their 89-100 watt heatsink, an okay-sized solid chunk of aluminum that they've used ever since 2003. Then they also have a couple cheesy smaller solid aluminum chunk ones for 65 watt and under units.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 12:35:55 PM

It's the cheaper units that worry me. I received a cheap hunk of Al that was smaller than usual and it cooled like a pig, I got insane temps from it. The heatsink was much shorter too...

In short, my stock heatsink from my 45W BE-2400 cooled better than the stock heatsink from my 80W 555BE.

But hey, long time not see MU! :p 
Score
a c 100 à CPUs
January 17, 2012 3:25:54 PM

amdfangirl said:
It's the cheaper units that worry me. I received a cheap hunk of Al that was smaller than usual and it cooled like a pig, I got insane temps from it. The heatsink was much shorter too...

In short, my stock heatsink from my 45W BE-2400 cooled better than the stock heatsink from my 80W 555BE.

But hey, long time not see MU! :p 

I've been very, very busy recently. Working ~70 hours per week doesn't leave you much time to fiddle around.

And back on topic, getting a good quality aftermarket heatsink is usually a good idea. The older AMD heatsinks were okay for the CPUs they shipped with but a $30 aftermarket one usually did a much better job. The exceptions to that were people putting the 125-140 W units on <100 W CPUs- that worked well, as did the old-style 89-95 watt 1 lb aluminum chunk heatsinks on <=45 watt CPUs. The smaller ones are trash though, you are right. They are right down there with Intel's push-pin garbage they have shipped ever since the Presshot debuted on LGA775.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 5:10:09 PM

I haven't assembled the A8-3870K system yet because I'm still painting the case. Looking at the stock cooler gave definite cause for concern.

It's a 100W TDP and unlocked, and the stock cooler fits completely within the palm of my hand. I'm also going for looks since this case has windows on both sides and the top.

I'm also limited to a cooler height of 76mm.

Those criteria have made the search interesting. I initially looked at Thermaltake's site and considered the MeOrb, ISGC-100, and the ISGC-400 (cant find any retailers for this one with stock).

As far as newegg, they have the GELID Solutions CC-Siberian-01 80mm for $9.99. The Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is $49.99 but that fan looks like a screamer. The Logisys Gamma Blade cooler comes in at $14.99. They all appear to meet the height requirements. That's kind of slim pickings.

The older cooler I considered repurposing was my Corsair H50, but after more measurements, there won't be quite enough room for the radiator to fit in the conventional places, so its out...

I let my 6 yo daughter pick the case. She had to have pink so I'm working around those criteria. I'd like to note, when shopping for pink cases, its really difficult to find a nice one. This Apevia is really nice though, the front face is 2-tone, black with the pink, which appears to be anodized aluminum with a very nice quality-looking brushed finish. It's leagues beyond other pink cases of its size.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 8:34:52 PM

^2 that's the pathetic cooler I was talking about, except mine is worse because the fan is not directly on top of the heatsink.... there is a gap. When running mprime on a closed matx system (65 Athlon 64 X2) I got high 70s; low 80s :p .
Score
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2012 6:41:15 PM

Okay, well, its meant to be a budget build but I couldn't help myself and had to complicate it further, and spend a little more money than what's probably acceptable for this type of build. At least it'll be more interesting for me than simply assembling some components and calling it done.

I decided to go with the Scythe SCBSK-2000 120mm Sleeve Big Shuriken 2 CPU Cooler even though its another $50. So that right there already made this build more expensive than it should be. I'm also going to remove the 120mm fan from the Scythe, and add this fan, the Phanteks PH-F140TS_WT 140mm Case Fan. It's a 140mm fan with open corner 120mm mounting holes. Thanks to the short stature of the Scythe, 58mm, removing its slim fan, and adding a typical 25mm fan, will still keep me within that 76mm limit.

So I just threw another $80 at the build of what is meant to be a low-budget build, but I'm hoping it'll be much more pleasing to the eyes. Hopefully, I can get my daughter interested in piecing it all together when everything arrives.

Thanks for all the input folks, it really opened up my options for aftermarket cooling and increased my confidence when selecting and purchasing.

Cheers~
Score
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2012 6:41:39 PM

Best answer selected by clonazepam.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2012 6:43:31 PM

Dont forget to show us your build with lots of pics when your done.
Score
!