Sign in with
Your question

Getting memory with different speeds/voltages to play nice

Last response: in Memory
November 15, 2012 5:05:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've recently decided to do a modest upgrade of an ageing rig I built a few years back so that I can get better performance from Adobe Lightroom. One part of this was adding some ram.

The ram I had before was:
Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400 (2 x 1GB) - rated at 800mhz 5-5-5-12 (1.9V)

The ram I bought in the hope to add to this is:
Corsair DDR2 XMS2-8500 (2 x 2GB) - rated at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 (2.1V)

I also bought a Q6600 which I was hoping to get to run at 8 x 400mhz so that I could run the ram at 800mhz and have a 1:1 ratio.

Even at stock I can't get the ram to work together. I tried just letting the Mobo take care of the setting which didn't work and I tried manually setting the memory's setting's in the bios to:

400mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V

Neither would boot into windows. I get BSOD or boot loop. Both sets work fine on their own.

I've never played with memory timings/voltages before so would like some advice from you fine people before inputting any more settings.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance!
November 22, 2012 8:18:56 AM

Timings and the voltages are key here. If you go into overclocking settings and adjust the RAM voltage, it will adjust the voltage of both modules to the voltage you set, you don't actually need to overclock the RAM, just tell the BIOS you want it to be set at 1.9 Volts. The timing is simple, you only need to mess with the first couple of numbers, it is under a setting in the BIOS that I cannot remember the name of. You may no be able to use the higher speed RAM at the lower speed with reduced voltage (not sure why)
m
l
!