My PC doesn't boot

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Start your machine and look for the message at the bottom that tells you which key to press to change the boot order. Press it and select your disc drive. Make sure your Windows disc is in the disc drive. Your machine should boot to the installation disc from where you can format your hard drive. :)

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Restart your machine. As soon as it begins to power up, press the F keys (probably F8, F10 or F12), and it should take you into the boot order menu. Your machine won't boot into Windows immediately, it will run the BIOS and POST beforehand.

Soldier_Snake

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
i did it... i got some choices about safe mode etc.. I saw a choice enable logging boot ,i press enter and nothing happened, it started windows again

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Those are the advanced boot options. Different F-keys do different things via the BIOS, and you need to find out which one will let you select the boot device. Keep restarting until you find which F-key you need. It will say something like:
1. Hard drive
2. DVD drive
3. Network
4. USB device

Select your DVD drive.

Start the PC.
Press Del a few times.
You will enter the BIOS.
Goto Boot Settings, or advanced Boot Options.
Change the order of the Boot Device to CD/DVD Rom First, as Primary Boot Device.
Change the Secondary Boot Device to the HDD.
Disable the rest of the Boot devices. And also disable Boot From Other Device.
Press F10. Save and exit BIOS.
Remember to have a Bootable Windows or other OS disc in the CD/DVD drive.
If it asks you to boot from CD/DVD press yes or a key within the given time.
Check and see if it Boots.
After you choose the Installation Partitions and the copying and loading is completed the PC will ask for a reboot, press yes and as the rig goes into post start pressing Del. Change the Boot order in the BIOS back to HDD first primary boot device.
Disable all the rest. Save Exit and reboot.
The installation will then continue. Just remember to leave the OS CD/DVD in the CD/DVD Drive, 'cos windows will need it again to copy a few files.