Back in August 2011 I built myself a computer with the following specs:

i5-2500k
GTX 560Ti (Gigabyte OC version)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
SeaGate Barracuda 7200rpm
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
750w XFX PRO XXX Silver Rated PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Recently I have been experiencing issues with my PC freezing and locking up which the only way to resolve seems to be holding the power button in to force a shut down, and boot up again. (This happens randomly, not every day, but sometimes up to 2-3 times in an evening).

Now I'm unsure if this could be a faulty HDD or a faulty/damaged CPU?
Each time I find my computer frozen, the HDD activity light is solid ON. Not blinking or flashing just stays lit.

Things I've done so far:

Disk Clean up
Disk Defrag - When I click analyze it shoes 0% fragmented, however i ran a disk defrag anyway and this seemed to stop the problem for about a week or so but now its back again. My disk defrag should run every wednesday at midnight anyway on schedule.
Anti virus scan - nothing came up as expected
CHKDSK run from command prompt - zero errors or data in bad sectors

I began having this problem when i was using Mozilla Firefox, and so i switched to Chrome, but about a month later the same thing seem to be happening when i was using chrome. The other night i left my PC to go and have dinner, came back and core 4 showed 99% usage and the system was frozen/locked up.

I've been having lots of issues recently with SHOCKWAVE FLASH plug in crashing on Chrome and causing lock ups, using task manager to end Chrome.exe process tree often solves this however. Something related to this seems the most likely culprit, however I cant seem to get to the bottom of it.

I have more than adequate cooling and all hardware such as CPU cooler, fans are running properly.

My CPU was clocked up to 4.6GHz for a while, but due to only using the system for web browsing and other desktop applications (not games) I clocked it back down to 4.0GHz since the performance really wasn't needed. Voltage is set to AUTO. Graphics card is also running factory settings.

Any idea's anyone?

One thing I haven't done yet is leave PRIME95 running for a few hours to see if it throws back any errors, although I have a feeling it won't.

More about : cpu damage

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 10:50:01 AM

The problem here is that it could be any one of the CPU, RAM, motherboard or PSU playing up. Possibly even the GPU...with an intermittent problem, it's hard to tell. Given what you saw when you came back from dinner, I think running Prime95 would be a good idea as if there's a problem with your CPU it should throw it up. Also try MemCheck86 to try the memory out. Furmark for the GPU (one at a time, of course!). Report back with your findings and we can go from there. :) 
Score
January 17, 2012 10:50:30 AM

Try testing the ram.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2012 8:15:33 AM

I attempted to run Prime95 over night and sure enough I woke up this morning and my computer had just frozen over again. I had the screen on standby and since the system had frozen I was unable to wake the display in order to see if PRIME95 had thrown up any errors.

I shall attempt to re-run this later today and keep an eye on it. Even if I only run it for an hour or so.

Each time I find my computer frozen, the HDD activity light is solid ON. Not blinking or flashing just stays lit. Possibly HDD issue rather than CPU?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 18, 2012 9:27:28 AM

Easy enough to determine...swap out the HDD and repeat the test. It sounds like the CPU might be faulty, given the other instabilities (Chrome etc). Try and reset the BIOS too, that will clear out any random setting from your 4.6GHz overclock that might still be kicking around.
January 18, 2012 9:49:36 AM

Hi

It is really hard for a CPU to have problems. You usually have BSODs or NO POST/No Boot situation. HDD is already checked, so just run a memtest x86 during the night and see if ti catches anything. Update or downgrade bios if you did so lately. Check Event Viewer ( eventvwr.exe ) to see if saved anything. And while your at it check c:\windows\minidumps and see if you have any recent dump files.
Score
January 19, 2012 12:53:46 AM

Is the board, processor, memory, drives, and graphics card getting enough air? I'm pretty sure the problems I've been having with my own system is my northbridge on my nvidia based board (yeah I know it's old and I'm waiting on 3930k's to get back in stock) are becuase my temps are hitting over 100c.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 8:37:49 AM

Temps are 100% not the issue.

I'm using: CM Storm Scout case, front and x2 side intake fans, roof and rear exhaust with Arctic Freezer 13 CPU cooler and HWMonitor to check all temps. They never exceed 66 degree's at 100% load. Graphics card is a GTX 560Ti (Gigabyte OC version 900MHz) and since I'm not using it for gaming, temps usually idle around 40 degree's.

RAM is running at 1600MHz, XMP. I may try dropping back to 1333MHz since this is what SB is "supposed" to run on.

The problem i'm having with Chrome is that SHOCKWAVE FLASH plugin is constantly crashing and seems to be bringing everything else down with it. Might have to go back to firefox for a while, but I really am fed up of all this Browser swapping :( 

The BIOS has never been updated nor changed since I built the system. It's never been "necessary" and is usually only recommended as a last-resort.

MemTest and checking Event Logs will be my next step - no idea why I didn't check logs before - Ooops!

Score
January 19, 2012 4:36:01 PM

it might not be but i have heard there are some serious issues with the gtx 560's, might only have been a couple but i heard they would seize up while doing certain things
Score
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2012 4:52:55 PM

Hard lockups are annoying as hell to track down. In my experiance, they typically point to problems in the memory subsystem, but usually not the RAM itself. For example, teh crappy northbridge on my old XFX 790i Ultra was prone to hard locking when using any RAM with 1T timings. [Overvolting the NB and RAM helped in this case...].

I suspect motherboard, but its as good a guess as any at this point.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 7:57:15 AM

With my free time being slightly limited this week I haven't had all that much chance to dive into trouble shooting.

So far I have however resolved my chrome issues. It was a result of a conflict between macromedia flash, and chrome's built in flash. I used my computer for about an hour or so last night, web browsing only, and experienced no lock ups or crashes from Chrome after disabling one of the flash plugins.

I know its a long shot to hope that this was the only problem and it's now resolved, but fingers crossed ey. I have about 2-3 hours of time to spare later today and will attempt to leave PRIME95 running over that period 1) to see if it crashes again, and 2) to see if any errors get thrown up.

I think if PRIME can run the whole time, and nothing locks up, I can conclude CHROME and FLASH were the sole responsibility for my lock ups.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 8:06:30 AM

I'm not sure how the Chrome issues would result in your previous Prime95 crash, but fingers crossed you've resolved it! :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 8:26:59 AM

diellur said:
I'm not sure how the Chrome issues would result in your previous Prime95 crash, but fingers crossed you've resolved it! :) 

Prime95 didn't crash - my computer just locked up at some point during the night when I left PRIME running. My computer literally just froze over, I could still move the mouse but no clicks or keyboard commands worked leaving the only option to just hold the power button in until the system turned off.

There's so many different things that could be causing my system to lock up im just trying to narrow them down and solve any issues one by one. The chrome issue was a known one, so i figured id get that out the way first. Next step is running Prime again and hopefully getting results from it, following a lock up again however, ill be resorting to event logs for more trouble shooting.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 8:38:50 AM

Im guessing its some kind of ram error but can't be sure. unlikely its your cpu as it would probably crash instantly on prime. the hdd could be faulty but I doubt it would lock up.

motherboard or ram is most likely imo. try testing without your gpu installed.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 10:42:06 AM

esrever said:
Im guessing its some kind of ram error but can't be sure. unlikely its your cpu as it would probably crash instantly on prime. the hdd could be faulty but I doubt it would lock up.

motherboard or ram is most likely imo. try testing without your gpu installed.

Surely I can eliminate the HDD as the issue because CHKDSK returned no errors?

Ideally I don't want to start pulling components out either, so I'll leave this as a last resort if nothing else works :sweat: 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 6:08:04 PM

Quote:
Prime95 didn't crash - my computer just locked up at some point during the night when I left PRIME running. My computer literally just froze over, I could still move the mouse but no clicks or keyboard commands worked leaving the only option to just hold the power button in until the system turned off.

Really? The mouse input was still active? Very odd, since that would indicate the entire GDI subsystem was still alive and well, as well as parts of the main UI...It kinda sounds as if anything already in RAM is still working...

Just for kicks, run the test with prime again, but leave task manager open as the active process, and sort the processes by CPU usage. I'm very interested to see if something else is kicking off thats causing the problem...[leave Task Manager visable, in case you can't switch to it when the OS goes down].

Also, you might want to take a peak at the event log, to see if anything in particular is recording an error right before the system locks up.

And again, these are the most annoying issues to diagnose. I'm actually shocked the mouse was both moving AND being recorded on teh screen...
Score
January 20, 2012 6:57:59 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

Really? The mouse input was still active? Very odd, since that would indicate the entire GDI subsystem was still alive and well, as well as parts of the main UI...It kinda sounds as if anything already in RAM is still working...

Just for kicks, run the test with prime again, but leave task manager open as the active process, and sort the processes by CPU usage. I'm very interested to see if something else is kicking off thats causing the problem...[leave Task Manager visable, in case you can't switch to it when the OS goes down].

Also, you might want to take a peak at the event log, to see if anything in particular is recording an error right before the system locks up.

And again, these are the most annoying issues to diagnose. I'm actually shocked the mouse was both moving AND being recorded on teh screen...

To really check if a computer is "hard locked" or not, just press the num lock or caps keys. If they change state, it isn't locked. Works everywhere, included during boot and outside of the OS.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2012 7:17:49 PM

ctrl alt del also works
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 6:59:55 AM

Thank's to all who posted, a CMOS reset seemed to solve the lock-ups issue. Few other problems have occurred because of this, but I'm also working through those now.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 7:00:23 AM

Best answer selected by AdrianPerry.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 8:13:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!