Sign in with
Your question

PSU orientation

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2012 10:57:32 AM

I'm using a Novatech Vortex Case which has the PSU mount location at the bottom of the case, it also has vents at the bottom of the case with dust filter and clearance from the bottom of the case so the PSU doesn't actually touch the bottom face-to-face. The case is also raised off the ground slightly.

My PSU fan points downwards if its positioned correctly, so should I leave it pointing down so the fan under the PSU immediately vents out the bottom of the case or do I flip it so it blows upwards into the case.

case = http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/nov...

edit: I currently have the PSU with fan facing downwards and it seems ok and keeping cool from what I can see. Although that's only a short term result.

More about : psu orientation

a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2012 11:03:30 AM

I think the psu fans are designed to suck air from the case and blow it out the back...

eta or in the case of being mounted with the bottom down draw air from under your case and blow it out the back.
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2012 11:06:38 AM

The power supply must be with the fan down , to suck cold air from outside the case to keep her cool.
Related resources
January 17, 2012 11:08:37 AM

EDIT:

PSU is venting from the bottom
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2012 11:34:24 AM

in all honesty either bottom position works just fine. the current trend is to put the PSU fan face down. Antec has built cases for years that had the PSU fan face up and the cases always cooled PC hardware very well. Maximum PC and PC Gamer place the PSU fan side up also in their builds. I've built plenty of PCs using both methods and have no preference ( in fact my two current PCs use each method). The only issue I have with the fan up install is dust getting inside the PSU so I use a magnetic fan filter on top of the fan.

January 17, 2012 1:03:00 PM

dirtyferret said:
in all honesty either bottom position works just fine. the current trend is to put the PSU fan face down. Antec has built cases for years that had the PSU fan face up and the cases always cooled PC hardware very well. Maximum PC and PC Gamer place the PSU fan side up also in their builds. I've built plenty of PCs using both methods and have no preference ( in fact my two current PCs use each method). The only issue I have with the fan up install is dust getting inside the PSU so I use a magnetic fan filter on top of the fan.

I just tested having the fan pointing upwards and noticed it produced more noise. Possibly due to the fan blowing up into the GPU fans which blow down making a weird air flow or something.

Thanks for the information, I'll just have it pointing downwards and venting from the bottom. It cools fine and is quieter so job done.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 17, 2012 1:26:58 PM

phync said:
I just tested having the fan pointing upwards and noticed it produced more noise. Possibly due to the fan blowing up into the GPU fans which blow down making a weird air flow or something.

Thanks for the information, I'll just have it pointing downwards and venting from the bottom. It cools fine and is quieter so job done.

You have that backwards, the fans on both the psu and gpu draw air into the component, they don't blow into the case.
January 17, 2012 9:49:52 PM

The PSU fan "sucks" air from the inside, and blows it out the back (usually).
When a PSU is mounted in the top of a case, the fan points down. When it's mounted in the bottom the fan points up.

Another reason why I have my bottom-mounted PSU fan-side-up is so I don't have to clean my dustfilter every week/month.

You could say that you get less cooling for your PSU when pointing your fan up, but I think that's a bit nip picky. It wasn't a problem when before the PSU's where always in the top of the case; sucking in even hotter air, and I don't think it's a problem now.
!