phync

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I'm using a Novatech Vortex Case which has the PSU mount location at the bottom of the case, it also has vents at the bottom of the case with dust filter and clearance from the bottom of the case so the PSU doesn't actually touch the bottom face-to-face. The case is also raised off the ground slightly.

My PSU fan points downwards if its positioned correctly, so should I leave it pointing down so the fan under the PSU immediately vents out the bottom of the case or do I flip it so it blows upwards into the case.

case = http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/novatechvortextowercase.html

edit: I currently have the PSU with fan facing downwards and it seems ok and keeping cool from what I can see. Although that's only a short term result.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I think the psu fans are designed to suck air from the case and blow it out the back...

eta or in the case of being mounted with the bottom down draw air from under your case and blow it out the back.

phync

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

I just tested having the fan pointing upwards and noticed it produced more noise. Possibly due to the fan blowing up into the GPU fans which blow down making a weird air flow or something.

Thanks for the information, I'll just have it pointing downwards and venting from the bottom. It cools fine and is quieter so job done.

You have that backwards, the fans on both the psu and gpu draw air into the component, they don't blow into the case.

discy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
The PSU fan "sucks" air from the inside, and blows it out the back (usually).
When a PSU is mounted in the top of a case, the fan points down. When it's mounted in the bottom the fan points up.

Another reason why I have my bottom-mounted PSU fan-side-up is so I don't have to clean my dustfilter every week/month.

You could say that you get less cooling for your PSU when pointing your fan up, but I think that's a bit nip picky. It wasn't a problem when before the PSU's where always in the top of the case; sucking in even hotter air, and I don't think it's a problem now.