Sign in with
Your question

I can't find a power supply that fits the socket

Last response: in Motherboards
November 15, 2012 10:03:22 PM

Hello, I recently purchased an Asus F2A85-V Pro motherboard. I then purchased an Antec 550w power supply but neither of its 8-ping plugs will fit the 8-pin socket on the mobo. I then bought a Cooler Master 720w power supply that I was told will work but neither of ITS 8-pin plugs will fit the 8-pin sockets on the mobo. The problem is the arrangement of the square and five-sided connectors in the plug/socket. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 10:11:16 PM

Your trying to plug PCI-E power cables into the CPU power plug.

Look for one of these.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 170 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 10:21:44 PM

jbruyet said:
Hello, I recently purchased an Asus F2A85-V Pro motherboard. I then purchased an Antec 550w power supply but neither of its 8-ping plugs will fit the 8-pin socket on the mobo. I then bought a Cooler Master 720w power supply that I was told will work but neither of ITS 8-pin plugs will fit the 8-pin sockets on the mobo. The problem is the arrangement of the square and five-sided connectors in the plug/socket. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

The 8 pin socket on the motherboard is what's called the EPS12v connector, it provides 12v power directly to the CPU's VRMs. It is rare for power supplies under 800 watts to have an 8 pin EPS12v connector, instead having only a 4 pin ATX12 auxiliary connector which can be used in its place. It is only necessary to have one half of the 8 pin EPS connector populated for the motherboard to work properly.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 76 ) Power supply
a c 137 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 10:33:46 PM

Pinhedd said:
It is rare for power supplies under 800 watts to have an 8 pin EPS12v connector, instead having only a 4 pin ATX12 auxiliary connector which can be used in its place.

I'll add a slight correction to that. It's rare for most units under 800W to have full 8 pin connector, instead of a 4+4. All good quality 500W and above units that I've seen recently have at least one 4+4 ATX12V/EPS12V connector (and in the case of a few of the lower wattage SeaSonic models, even two, which I never have understood).

But yeah, a 400W unit with one, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a 380W unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

From there, it's pretty much commonplace, from 500W and up.

But your point is valid. The extra 4 pins are unneeded for most users.

Regardless, the connector should still fit. The board isn't conforming to spec if it doesn't.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 263 ) Power supply
a c 197 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 10:40:59 PM

Just to add to what's correctly posted above. Get your Antec back, it's likely a much better unit than anything by Coolermaster.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 170 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 11:09:51 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'll add a slight correction to that. It's rare for most units under 800W to have full 8 pin connector, instead of a 4+4. All good quality 500W and above units that I've seen recently have at least one 4+4 ATX12V/EPS12V connector (and in the case of a few of the lower wattage SeaSonic models, even two, which I never have understood).

But yeah, a 400W unit with one, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a 380W unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

From there, it's pretty much commonplace, from 500W and up.

But your point is valid. The extra 4 pins are unneeded for most users.

Regardless, the connector should still fit. The board isn't conforming to spec if it doesn't.

EPS calls for both an 8 pin EPS auxiliary connector and an optional 4 pin tertiary connector. Some high performance motherboards such as the Rampage IV Extreme have both sockets, for a total of 12 auxiliary pins. Those PSUs will have 8+4 rather than (4+4)+4 as the tertiary connector will also work in a non-EPS compliant motherboard
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:53:14 PM

Ok, I have a 4x4 plug where one 4 will fit half of the eatx12v socket and the other 4 won't even come close. FWIW here's what the socket looks like (if this works):

Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd
_ _ _ _
| | / \ / \ | |
|_| |_| |_| |_|
_ _ _ _
/ \ | | | | / \
|_| |_| |_| |_|
12v 12v 12v 12v

Well it was close, and hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. I'll put the one 4 of the 4x4 plug that looks like it'll work into half of the socket and see if it'll boot. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the responses,

Joe B
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:56:49 PM

That graphic didn't quite come out right. I'm thinking:

square house shape house shape square

house shape square square house shape

Anyway, time to see if it'll boot.

Thanks,

Joe B
m
l
November 16, 2012 12:49:17 AM

Sheesh, let's try this AGAIN:

Square HouseShape HouseShape Square
HouseShape Square Square HouseShape

m
l
November 16, 2012 1:48:19 AM

Thanks guys, it booted right up. And surprisingly Ubuntu 12.4 came right up. Hmmm.

Thanks again,

Joe B
m
l
!