[UK]Got my shopping list for my ideal rig. Need a 2nd pair of eyes!

G

I'm finally going to get around to upgrading my computer. My current rig is ok, but I plan on playing games like Battlefield 3 on ultra, or any other game which needs the power.

Here is my current shopping list of items I'm planning on getting:

Intel CPU Core i7 2600K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor
ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE
Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 2000 Mhz Dual Channel [Is 8gb enough for the latest games? I also plan on using my PC for heavy After Effects work also. I also read that getting 2000 Mhz memory is pointless at the moment, is this a waste of money?].
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SSD [For use with the Intel smart response tech to speed up my system]
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive [For Windows 7]
2x Western Digital WD20EARX 2TB Caviar Green Quiet SATA 6Gb/s IntelliPower 64Mb Cache 8ms HDD
Asus GeForce GTX 590 NVIDIA Graphics Card - 3GB [Maybe get me a set of 3D glasses to use with the occasional game that supports it]
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 7.1 Soundcard

Other bits:
Roccat Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
Asus VE278Q 27" LED Monitor

I already own a Corsair Professional Series HX1000W Power supply, which Im taking along for the ride to my new build.

Any critique on the above or any pointers will be very helpful.
Alternatives are also welcome and as for budget, there is no budget as far as I'm concerned. I just want to play games like Battlefield 3 on ultra settings on a 27" screen.

Davayy

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Its a nice build but it may be too nice. Imo you wont need the hyperthreading the 2600k offers, you're better of with a 2500k or something similar. Also 3gb gpu... Even bf3 wont need 3gb. 2gb would run it perfectly, i have a single 6870 1gb and it runs fine on that. If you're future proofing it then sure go for the extra bang, but at the moment you're paying for things you won't necessarily need.

That monitor's only Full HD, you won't be needing a 590. And the 590 is a waste of money anyway when a 560 (Ti) SLI setup owns it for less money. I think you should be fine with a 6950 or 560 Ti. 6970 or 570 fo'sho.

G

Thanks for input. All I want it to future proof my new rig best I can. The 2 560 (ti)'s are about £250 cheaper in total than the 590. So thats a great saving. I just want to be able to run the latest games with all bells and whistles without the problems I have currently, windows 7 dropping me to the desktop saying it has to disable aero all the time.

I suggest you buy one 560 Ti now and add a second one later if it feels inadequate. Don't be fooled by the fact that it's 27", it still only supports 1920 x 1080 which is pretty much the average these days. Not high end, and does not require a high end GPU.

G

Any more thoughts? I just want to get this right best I can.

G

So I just hope someone goes back through 10 days worth of threads and finds it?