Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Upgrade from Onboard Mob

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2011 8:44:21 PM

So many choices and I know nothing! Any suggestions I am looking for a modest upgrade over the on-board graphics?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Planning to buy this week
BUDGET RANGE: USD less than $150 After Rebates
USAGE : Mostly picture scanning and processing with some gaming low level usage.

CURRENT GPU : Gigabyte 880A-UD3H ver 3.0.1 with on boarad Graphics
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP (Black),
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX,
Thermaltake Frio Heatsink,
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model,
1TB Western Digital Caviar black 32MB Cache,
120GB SSD
(2) 250 GB WD 5800 rpm
(3) 200mm Coolermaster fans,
Win-7 Professional 64 bit

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe?
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for Modest upgrade from on-board graphics
August 18, 2011 12:01:04 AM

Hello, in all honesty a $150 price range is not neccessary for the uses your listing. A $50 card would be a very modest upgrade from onboard.

Please use the search function or even google the list of video cards that tom's has considered "best in class" for a given price range.

-Circ
Score
August 18, 2011 4:21:08 PM

circulate said:
Hello, in all honesty a $150 price range is not neccessary for the uses your listing. A $50 card would be a very modest upgrade from onboard.

Please use the search function or even google the list of video cards that tom's has considered "best in class" for a given price range.

-Circ

-Circ Thanks for the response, but that is my problem. I search and get so many hits that I am confused and cannot determine which will work best with my MB/ configuration and be an improvement; the price ranges are from $19 up.

I was hoping that some one might have a suggestion of a manufactuer or a chip set to look for that would give me some of the latest capabililties; as well as not need a plenthia of upgrades to keep up with the latest technology trends, eg PCI-e, AGP, PCI GTX5xx, GTS 4xx HD5xx, 6xxx, 4xx, are all confusing to me and the articles I read see to focus on the latest most expensive technology?

When I select what I think is a canidate and search for feedback I get all sorts of techno words (Best in CLASS?) and specificationss I cannot digest for my layman needs, not sure they are good or bad after reading the feedback and charts? Is faster better, number of processes, memory, frequency, performance for a layman not game specific, I have never played a game on the PC, use Playstation etc.

HELP, I need a DRINK!
REOFL
Score
Related resources
August 18, 2011 5:10:43 PM

No worries Reofl, let's see if we can't clear things up for you.

On your motherboard you have slots in which you can "plug" stuff in. They are usually long slots in which "cards" or "sticks" go into. We call things like graphics/sound producers "cards" and ram is commonly refered to as "sticks" or ram. Some slots hold RAM (memory that stands for Random Access Memory) and other slots hold things like a graphics card. The slots on motherboards that hold a graphics card are called pci-e slots. Any sort of anotations you see after pci-e like pci-e 2.0 x16 is just referencing a new version of the slot (nothing you need to worry about).

There are no "chipsets" for graphics cards really, that's more of a term for CPU (central processing unity - processors) where a motherboard has a specific slot that holds only specific cpu's thus a certain "chipset"

The stats on the GPU are only semi important to someone that's in your position. All you have to look for in my opinion is a graphics card that has SLI capabilities, has 512MB-1gig memory. Other than that REVIEWS are the most important aspect of picking a graphics card that suits you.

Things like gtx5xx 4xx etc are just referencing a line of graphics card. Sort of like when talking about a mercades e series s series etc.

the gtx is a type of card, and the 5xx 4xx 3xx are just referencing models. gtx560 gtx465 etc.

When seeing the word CLASS in regards to graphics cards and many other computer stuff, its talking about, usually, a certain price range of the item. The $400+ range is one class, the 200-400 dollar cards are in another class, and the 50- are something like the "economy class" graphics cards. Get it? ;) 

Search newegg for this item number: N82E16814161315
it's a great card and it fits what you need.

Score
August 18, 2011 6:07:13 PM

circulate said:
No worries Reofl, let's see if we can't clear things up for you.

On your motherboard you have slots in which you can "plug" stuff in. They are usually long slots in which "cards" or "sticks" go into. We call things like graphics/sound producers "cards" and ram is commonly refered to as "sticks" or ram. Some slots hold RAM (memory that stands for Random Access Memory) and other slots hold things like a graphics card. The slots on motherboards that hold a graphics card are called pci-e slots. Any sort of anotations you see after pci-e like pci-e 2.0 x16 is just referencing a new version of the slot (nothing you need to worry about).

There are no "chipsets" for graphics cards really, that's more of a term for CPU (central processing unity - processors) where a motherboard has a specific slot that holds only specific cpu's thus a certain "chipset"

The stats on the GPU are only semi important to someone that's in your position. All you have to look for in my opinion is a graphics card that has SLI capabilities, has 512MB-1gig memory. Other than that REVIEWS are the most important aspect of picking a graphics card that suits you.

Things like gtx5xx 4xx etc are just referencing a line of graphics card. Sort of like when talking about a mercades e series s series etc.

the gtx is a type of card, and the 5xx 4xx 3xx are just referencing models. gtx560 gtx465 etc.

When seeing the word CLASS in regards to graphics cards and many other computer stuff, its talking about, usually, a certain price range of the item. The $400+ range is one class, the 200-400 dollar cards are in another class, and the 50- are something like the "economy class" graphics cards. Get it? ;) 

Search newegg for this item number: N82E16814161315
it's a great card and it fits what you need.

-Circ
Thanks Much!
Not sure I "get it" but I ordered it (n82E16814161315 from Newegg for $59.00 after rebate, your helpis greatly appreciated. The more I search the more confused I got.

REOFL :love:  :bounce: 

Score
August 18, 2011 6:10:09 PM

Glad I could help you make a purchase man, and perhaps, just a little, expand your knowledge base! :) 

Take care bud, don't forget to select best answer! :clap:
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 1:23:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!