Can i use laotop processor as desktop processor

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
No.

The processor must match the motherboard socket type. Laptops motherboards have a different socket type to desktop motherboards.

Not to mention there are a number of different laptop and desktop socket types too. Common desktop sockets currently are socket 1155, socket 1136, socket 2011 along with AM3 and AM3+ for AMD CPUs's. As for laptops, i'm not too sure on the specific numbers, but they are different :)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah, and besides probably easier to buy a new CPU than dig a laptop one out.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Well technically you could if you had the motherboard that supported your specific chip for example an Atom processor is a mobile chip but there are micro-ATX motherboards that support Atom processors you could use for a small desktop PC. You don't say what chip so I will assume it is not an Atom so as Adrian already stated the answer is most likely no.

Right now with our desktop 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors we are using Socket H2 or socket 1155. Our mobile 2nd generation Intel Core processors are using socket G2 or FCBGA1224, FCPGA988. Wtih the Desktop processors we are using an LGA (Lan Grid Array) and on the mobile processors we are still using a BGA (Ball Grid Array) or a PGA (Pin Grid Array).

Now I would guess you could take a mobile board and CPU and mount them in some chassis which you might need to create your own mounting points for but I am sure that there are people out there who can do it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

you certainly can with some older hardware so its not a flat out no

i did it years ago with an abit nf7s socket 462 motherboard --you could put athlon mobile cpus in them to run at

lower voltages and temperatures--or to overclock it to faster than the xp3200

i used a AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ mobile cpu in it

i was gonna say on older laptops its quite possible but on todays new gen, definatly not. personally i did replace a celleron with a pentium prescot on a 478 socket lappy a few years back but it didnt really help as it required more power and generated way way more heat... it only lasted 3 months and then went pop.
so its not the best idea to even try.