2 BSOD's in two days, possibly caused by this virus?

Hi,

I have a question. I have the following system which has been working flawlessly for 3 months now:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz stable
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 DDR3
WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400 RPM
Sapphire NVIDIA GTX 320 1024 MB (just ordered my GTX 560TI-448 from eVGA)
ModXStream Pro 700W
Antec Nine Hundred Two case
Scythe Mugen 2 REV B CPU cooler

First of all, I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I couldn't find any correct forum here that matches my problem. However, I'm afraid that my problem might damage my hardware.

As I said, my system has been working flawlessly for 3 months now. Until yesterday, I got my first blue screen of death (BSOD). I thought it's just a one time error. Until this morning I got a BSOD again. I have done all three tests in Prime95 some time ago when I overclocked. So my overclock is stable. Then I did a HDD check, no errors. I also fixed my registry already before these errors occured. So I thought, it might be a virus. So I opened MS Security Essentials, and did a full scan. I though that it wasn't gonna find anything anyway, but I was wrong. In the end it found 4 trojans which it rated as a "Severe" level of danger. These were the 4 files:

Exploit:Java/Blacole.BA
Exploit:Java/Blacole.AY
Exploit:Java/Blacole.AZ
Exploit:Java/Blacole.AX

In the end I let MS Security Essentials delete these files. I searched on the internet and followed the instructions on how to remove the traces of the virusses, but couldn't find any anymore. But what I also read, is that this virus might well damage your system when it's discoverd too late. Well, in my case, I think I discovered it well too late because I'm getting blue screens (so far two of them). So my question is, can a virus actually damage your hardware? (Mobo, CPU, RAM etc.)? Or just it just damage my OS and I can fix it again by reinstalling Windows?

After removing this virus, I did not YET have any BSOD's. *** knock on wood ***

Thanks for your help in advance!

Arjen
11 answers Last reply
More about bsod days possibly caused virus
  1. Is damaging your OS or other softwares who use the aplication where was the virus.
  2. What do you mean?
  3. Yes its possible. It corrupt the OS and application software. You need to understand how that virus get in to your machine.

Do you have an anti-virus software on your pc? Most of the anti-virus provide an excellent protection but are not 100%-proof.
  4. Read my post again. It's all explained in there. Yes I use MS Security Essentials, and it has found 4 virusses and deleted it. But my question is, can it actually physicly damage my hardware. For example make my motherboard unusable. Or does it just corrupt the OS, and I can fix it again by simply reinstalling windows?
  5. yes a virus can cause physical damage. How long do you think the cpu would last if the virus over volted it very high just for example. I dont know of any viruses that do that but its certainly possible.
  6. 1) Just because a system overclocks at day one "stable" doesn't mean it will remain stable for the life of the CPU.

2) MS Security Essentials is good but not great. This one has let several virus through in my experience. Always run a backup scan or two with other programs to make sure your system is truly clean. Malwarebytes and Trendmicro sysclean are my go to scanners.

3) Virus can damage hardware but it's rare . The HP printers burning up comes to mind recently.
  7. Well, since I got my virusses removed, I haven't yet had another BSOD. Not yet...

I'll test my overclock again tomorrow. If you want I can post the crash report from the minidump file.

But in general, can virusses cause blue screens?
  8. Yes, viruses and all other sorts of malicious software cause BSOD's all the time. It would have to be a very specific and very precisely coded piece of software to hit your system's hardware directly. Though it can happen. I don't think damaging hardware is high on a hacker's to do list, unless they're out for blood. Even then, most low level hardware settings can't be overridden with most of them being locked (laptops or what have you). To them, your information, habits, files, location, and network are much more valuable.
  9. Powerbolt said:
    Yes, viruses and all other sorts of malicious software cause BSOD's all the time. It would have to be a very specific and very precisely coded piece of software to hit your system's hardware directly. Though it can happen. I don't think damaging hardware is high on a hacker's to do list, unless they're out for blood. Even then, most low level hardware settings can't be overridden with most of them being locked (laptops or what have you). To them, your information, habits, files, location, and network are much more valuable.

It would be nearly impossible to damage hardware with a virus.
    To change the voltage they would need a API to the motherboard, and these API's are always secured so you wont overvolt any parts".

There are tons of reason why a virus could cause BSOD, but it's a good sign it BSOD.
  10. vmN said:
    Powerbolt said:
    Yes, viruses and all other sorts of malicious software cause BSOD's all the time. It would have to be a very specific and very precisely coded piece of software to hit your system's hardware directly. Though it can happen. I don't think damaging hardware is high on a hacker's to do list, unless they're out for blood. Even then, most low level hardware settings can't be overridden with most of them being locked (laptops or what have you). To them, your information, habits, files, location, and network are much more valuable.

It would be nearly impossible to damage hardware with a virus.
    To change the voltage they would need a API to the motherboard, and these API's are always secured so you wont overvolt any parts".

There are tons of reason why a virus could cause BSOD, but it's a good sign it BSOD.

There's a lot of speculation around the subject, but I still stand by my remark. Given the right circumstances it's absolutely possible. Though very difficult to execute.
  11. no, this would not cause hardware damage. info on the virus
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Blacole
    basically it is downloaded, if it runs it will check your computer to see what other things it can load and do.

just be sure to clear your java cache and update your java version.
    Microsoft does not update java, they got sued when they did there own version. I think oracle owns java now so you can not get it in windows update. you have to check for the updates yourself and got to the oracle website.
    I just disable mine without any issue. I update and reenable it when i need it (maybe use it 1 time a year now)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Blue Screen