GTX 295 and power supply

larspeter

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hey.

I'm not sure if I can run my GTX 295 or not, maybe some of you know if I can or not.

My current specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
1024MB GeForce GT 220 (MSI)
4 GB of DRR3 RAM
625GB Western Digital

I want to know if I can swap my GT220 out with the GTX 295, and still be able to run it.

I tried looking on the power supply, but it doesn't have any brand or label..

Hope you can help me, if you need more infomations to figure out what I need to do, then please request it.

Firstly it sounds a bit risky to me using an unknown PSU with such a power hungry card.
But another thing you can check is if the PSU has the correct connectors. A GTX 295 needs one 6pin and one 8pin (6+2) PCIe connector. If your PSU doesn't have these connectors then that would be even more confirmation that it is not powerful enough.

larspeter

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

I'll check that out :p

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

Or it could just be an old PSU, in either case, if you are completely unsure what the PSU is and for gawds sakes it doesnt even have a label, it might be time to actually purchase a quality PSU. With that said, there are plenty of choices better than a 295 in this day and age (performance/dollar/age), are you getting this GPU cheap or what?

Sorry, off topic but 48TB?!? Lol what the hell do you do with 48TB of storage? I'm barely using 600GB or so.

larspeter

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Between 100-150$, remember I live in Denmark. So there's a VAT of 25%.. Can you include that when recommend something :)?

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

The 295 is a generation behind---DX 10, no tesselation---but it is still top-notch. I run Far Cry 2 totally maxed out with fps in the forties-plus and the old Cryses all enthusiast/vhigh, 4X AA, fullscreen, vsync in the high 20s (which is playable for those two games, believe it or not). It's a great card for what it is.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

Well that is 48TB of RAW storage remember, (all 2 TB drives by the way). In RAID5 you lose 1 drive for every array assuming no hotspare etc. In my case there are 3 different RAID5 volumes, all with 8 drives in them. So 24x2TB drives now becomes the equivalent of 21x2TB drives of raw space. Now remember that we are talking about 2000GB drives (thanks manufacturer) and not 2048GB drives. Now remember that Windows formatting will take a nice chunk out of of that and we are left with 3 volumes of just over 12TB each, or about 36TB of actual usable space. Not so much now is it. Well, okay, by your standards that sounds like a lot, but have a backup of over 600 DVD's you own and an unknown backup of every Blueray movie, countless TV website downloads and you eat it up really quick trust me. I am actually in the process of adding more space. Considering swapping out all to 3TB drives as my case only supports 26 hard drives total (But the 2.5TB RAID "limitation" is a bit scary). Considering buying the next step up case which would thankfully support up to 96 hard drives in the case (although 12 8 port RAID cards would be hard to stomach, but I can always just install two motherboards which is probably what I will do - wouldnt mind 144TB of usable space if they were all 2 TB drives.). Been with this case since 2003, so I guess it is about time.

Literally right now, Volume one has 123GB free, Volume two has 846GB free, and Volume three has 1.46TB free. Average consumption (as in backed up information) rate right now is between 600 and 750GB a month on average, so by Christmas I will be virtually out.

Used to work for a large data storage company so 50TB doesnt sound like a whole lot to me really. Used to working with Petabyte systems, wish I had 3 million dollars for one of those trust me.

Almost forgot, by the way I have all that loaded so that anywhere in the house, any of 5 media centers can play any of the content I have purchased. In the master bedroom, in the living room, in the computer room, in the movie theater room, and in the garage where I now host up to 25 player LAN parties.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

I hear you, am an American living in New Zealand, 15% here, but imported goods are all off the charts. It is a hard spot you are in without knowing what the PSU is really. You check all around the PSU, might be some marking somewhere?

Not saying the 295 is a bad card, just saying there are other options out there for better bang for the buck. Personally I still like the 6850 and the 6950 for the money, if you can swing them. If you can get a 295 for less than 150$, I guess you arent doing too bad at all.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

Not saying the card sucks, it's just that he is BUYING a new card. It is best to consider options BEFORE the new card, not after the fact. I am sure at the time, or would hope is the case, when you bought yours, it was a good decision. A fact that remains he needs to consider fully before jumping in TODAY...

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Right. Be thinking up-to-date hardware when purchasing, by all means. I wasn't making that point, but it's good to be clear when we can.

Not saying you say the card sucks, just that it really sort of doesn't. If anyone got a good deal on Amazon on a used 295, they would not be terribly disappointed in its performance even now.

larspeter

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Well, I'm not buying it from new. But from a friend that just upgraded to a 6950 Radeon - so he offered me his old one.