Bluetooth Range

I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
meters.
Do you think it'll ever increase?

And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
distances (more than 30 meters).

Thanks, Aaron
5 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth range

    "Aaron" <add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
    > meters.
    > Do you think it'll ever increase?

    No. Other (more expensisive) technologies exist.

    > And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
    > communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
    > cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
    > for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
    > distances (more than 30 meters).

    Click to talk technologies
    FRS handhelds
    Satellite

    In article <d6815356.0411081715.6bd14a2@posting.google.com>, Aaron says...

    >I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
    >meters.

    Fortunately, you didn't hear the complete story.

    There has always been not less than two output power classes for Bluetooth
    devices, Class 1 (nominal range 100m) and Class 2 (nom range 10m) being
    particularly interesting here (yes, Class 1 is the highest power possible ;-) ).

    >Do you think it'll ever increase?

    The sensitivity of devices continues to improve, so you should be optimistic
    about doing better than 100m with two recent devices. Colleagues who tried this
    out (years ago) ran out of straight road at more than 300m when testing
    line-of-sight connections :-) :-).

    > As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
    >for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
    >distances (more than 30 meters).

    I don't think that Bluetooth modules will limit you in that project.

    Perhaps it's the case that phones only (or mainly) implement Class 2, but
    modules are available cheaply, so you need a reason to actually use phones as
    opposed to modules.

    Best Regards

    Jens

    --
    Key ID 0x09723C12, jensting@tingleff.org
    Analogue filtering / 5GHz RLAN / Mdk Linux / odds and ends

    Aaron wrote:

    > I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
    > meters.
    > Do you think it'll ever increase?
    >
    > And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
    > communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
    > cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
    > for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
    > distances (more than 30 meters).

    Bluetooth, while it can be made to work at somewhat extended ranges, is not
    intended for this use. You'd do better to look at wifi (802.11 in other
    words) or 900 MHz cordless phone technology if the range is not too long,
    beyond that at conventional radio.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    The Bluetooth SIG is working on increasing range, but before that it'll
    increase speed. Check this article:

    "Aaron" <add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
    > meters.
    > Do you think it'll ever increase?
    >
    > And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
    > communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
    > cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
    > for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
    > distances (more than 30 meters).
    >
    > Thanks, Aaron
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    On 8 Nov 2004 17:15:08 -0800, add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com (Aaron) wrote:

    >I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
    >meters.
    >Do you think it'll ever increase?
    >
    >And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
    >communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
    >cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
    >for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
    >distances (more than 30 meters).
    >
    >Thanks, Aaron

    A week or so ago, someone in this group posted a link to this article
    that discusses future implementations and enhancements to bluetooth.
    The article covered the bluetooth working group's priorities for the
    next three years and notes that they intend to propose increases to
    bluetooth range, speed, and security.

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nf/20041109/bs_nf/28260

    cv

Bluetooth Mobile Phones