Bluetooth Range

Last response: in Technologies
Share
November 8, 2004 8:15:08 PM

I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
meters.
Do you think it'll ever increase?

And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
distances (more than 30 meters).

Thanks, Aaron

More about : bluetooth range

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:28:58 PM

"Aaron" <add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 6815356.0411081715.6bd14a2@posting.google.com...
> I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
> meters.
> Do you think it'll ever increase?

No. Other (more expensisive) technologies exist.

> And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
> communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
> cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
> for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
> distances (more than 30 meters).

Click to talk technologies
FRS handhelds
Satellite

> Thanks, Aaron
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:44:41 AM

In article <d6815356.0411081715.6bd14a2@posting.google.com>, Aaron says...

>I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
>meters.

Fortunately, you didn't hear the complete story.

There has always been not less than two output power classes for Bluetooth
devices, Class 1 (nominal range 100m) and Class 2 (nom range 10m) being
particularly interesting here (yes, Class 1 is the highest power possible ;-) ).

>Do you think it'll ever increase?

The sensitivity of devices continues to improve, so you should be optimistic
about doing better than 100m with two recent devices. Colleagues who tried this
out (years ago) ran out of straight road at more than 300m when testing
line-of-sight connections :-) :-).

> As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
>for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
>distances (more than 30 meters).

I don't think that Bluetooth modules will limit you in that project.

Perhaps it's the case that phones only (or mainly) implement Class 2, but
modules are available cheaply, so you need a reason to actually use phones as
opposed to modules.

Best Regards

Jens

--
Key ID 0x09723C12, jensting@tingleff.org
Analogue filtering / 5GHz RLAN / Mdk Linux / odds and ends

Aaron wrote:

> I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
> meters.
> Do you think it'll ever increase?
>
> And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
> communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
> cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
> for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
> distances (more than 30 meters).

Bluetooth, while it can be made to work at somewhat extended ranges, is not
intended for this use. You'd do better to look at wifi (802.11 in other
words) or 900 MHz cordless phone technology if the range is not too long,
beyond that at conventional radio.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

The Bluetooth SIG is working on increasing range, but before that it'll
increase speed. Check this article:

"Aaron" <add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 6815356.0411081715.6bd14a2@posting.google.com...
> I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
> meters.
> Do you think it'll ever increase?
>
> And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
> communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
> cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
> for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
> distances (more than 30 meters).
>
> Thanks, Aaron
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:12:04 PM

On 8 Nov 2004 17:15:08 -0800, add_aaron_2_x@hotmail.com (Aaron) wrote:

>I've heard that bluetooth's max range for mobile phones is about 10
>meters.
>Do you think it'll ever increase?
>
>And do you know of any other technology that will allow phones to
>communicate with each other over long distances other than the current
>cellular network that is. As I'm trying to find a suitable technology
>for a potential project that envoloves mobile communication over long
>distances (more than 30 meters).
>
>Thanks, Aaron

A week or so ago, someone in this group posted a link to this article
that discusses future implementations and enhancements to bluetooth.
The article covered the bluetooth working group's priorities for the
next three years and notes that they intend to propose increases to
bluetooth range, speed, and security.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nf/2004...

cv
!