Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Check out this deal, lemme know what you think (AMD)

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2011 5:50:55 PM

Okay, first off you might think I'm crazy.

So I decided I wanted to build a new machine (budget < 400), for just web browsing or whatever. I understand that I could build a web browsing machine for a lot less than $400, but I intend to build a machine that will last a while (~10 years, upgrading along the way).

I came across this bundle CLICK HERE

A 6 core, all parts (I'll use integrated graphics for now) for $300. I personally think this is a Phenomenal deal, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

This is my first AMD based build, so I have one question, is AMD's stuff quality enough to last my machine's anticipated lifetime?

Thanks for your time.

More about : check deal lemme amd

Related resources
October 17, 2011 6:12:33 PM

A six core for "just web browsing". Eh?
m
l
October 17, 2011 6:14:54 PM

FinneousPJ said:
A six core for "just web browsing". Eh?

That's why I said you might think I'm crazy, but think about it, 10 years down the line when current dual core are struggling, my machine will continue to fly through the web :D  .
m
l
October 17, 2011 6:17:26 PM

Haha fair enough. I think that's a superb deal for your purpose.
m
l
October 17, 2011 6:20:31 PM

then only thing that makes you crazy is thinking ANY computer will be flying though the web after 10 years........

all jokes aside...you'd benifit from finding a similar deal with a black eddition quad core somewhere.....you'll not be needing any more than 4 through the life of that rig......add in a decent gpu and psu and your good to go!!!
m
l
October 17, 2011 6:36:00 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
That's why I said you might think I'm crazy, but think about it, 10 years down the line when current dual core are struggling, my machine will continue to fly through the web :D  .

In 10 years I sure as hell hope theres better tech then just 6 cores! :o 
m
l
October 17, 2011 6:48:41 PM

slcmike said:
In 10 years I sure as hell hope theres better tech then just 6 cores! :o 

It will no doubtedly be better, my intentions are for that in 10 years (give or take a few), that this machine would be able to run whatever the new standard of browsing is.

Let me give an example, currently I have a Celeron 2.6 GHz, single core, 1GB of ram machine that I got back in 2003. This thing can barely run windows XP any more, I mean it takes 5 minutes to boot up, youtube doesn't work any more. Clearly, it's time for an upgrade. So my intention for this new build is that, this won't happen again for another 10 years.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:05:18 PM

If you are simply looking for a long lasting (web) PC dont get a 6 core cpu meant for oc'n. If you would like a true future proof system (10+yrs) you will be spending a lot!!!
m
l
a b À AMD
October 17, 2011 7:06:32 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
It will no doubtedly be better, my intentions are for that in 10 years (give or take a few), that this machine would be able to run whatever the new standard of browsing is.

Let me give an example, currently I have a Celeron 2.6 GHz, single core, 1GB of ram machine that I got back in 2003. This thing can barely run windows XP any more, I mean it takes 5 minutes to boot up, youtube doesn't work any more. Clearly, it's time for an upgrade. So my intention for this new build is that, this won't happen again for another 10 years.

And we're telling you that is highly optimistic. Shoot for 5 years, if you don't care about gaming.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:10:46 PM

buzznut said:
And we're telling you that is highly optimistic. Shoot for 5 years, if you don't care about gaming.

Fair enough, suppose I shoot for 5 years, would you give this kit a thumbs up? (remember to consider the price!)
m
l
a b À AMD
October 17, 2011 7:11:40 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
Okay, first off you might think I'm crazy.

So I decided I wanted to build a new machine (budget < 400), for just web browsing or whatever. I understand that I could build a web browsing machine for a lot less than $400, but I intend to build a machine that will last a while (~10 years, upgrading along the way).

I came across this bundle CLICK HERE

A 6 core, all parts (I'll use integrated graphics for now) for $300. I personally think this is a Phenomenal deal, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

This is my first AMD based build, so I have one question, is AMD's stuff quality enough to last my machine's anticipated lifetime?

Thanks for your time.

As far as the deal goes, it isn't bad although you may wish to throw the PSU away and get something halfway decent.

What I would do however, is if I was buying today I'd go for a budget AM3+ board. But thats just me.
Probably for you I would recommend a core i3 bundle like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Or this for AMD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
m
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
October 17, 2011 7:15:07 PM

Windows 8 will be better optimized for more than 4 cores. Most folks won't recommend more than 4 cores because the software currently does not support it for the most part. But that will change over time, as you have surmised. So I think the system you're looking at would be fine.
October 17, 2011 7:18:03 PM

^ +1, yes the Intel system is the way to go.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:19:29 PM

buzznut said:
Windows 8 will be better optimized for more than 4 cores. Most folks won't recommend more than 4 cores because the software currently does not support it for the most part. But that will change over time, as you have surmised. So I think the system you're looking at would be fine.

This is the board included with the kit

It is an AM3+ socket type and from the reviews it seems to be a good one. As for the OS, I currently have a Vista license laying around some where and I'll be using that until Windows 8 comes out.
m
l
a b À AMD
October 17, 2011 7:37:02 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
This is the board included with the kit

It is an AM3+ socket type and from the reviews it seems to be a good one. As for the OS, I currently have a Vista license laying around some where and I'll be using that until Windows 8 comes out.

Great! Go ahead and snag it. Looks good.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:39:51 PM

buzznut said:
Great! Go ahead and snag it. Looks good.

:heink:  Sarcasm? :lol: 

But I think I will snag it, along with a better PSU.
m
l
a b À AMD
October 17, 2011 7:52:35 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
:heink:  Sarcasm? :lol: 

But I think I will snag it, along with a better PSU.

No, I do think its a good deal all things considered. Don't know what your graphics card plans are, but 500W is a good target for single cards.
I like the 500W builder's series from Corsair.

Here's a couple more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
October 17, 2011 8:01:18 PM

buzznut said:
No, I do think its a good deal all things considered. Don't know what your graphics card plans are, but 500W is a good target for single cards.
I like the 500W builder's series from Corsair.

I was considering THIS PSU

As for video card plans, I will be using the integrated chip set (HD 4250) for now, and some where down the line I'll spring for a dedicated. Considering that the board only has one PCI x16 slot, I feel that 600W should be sufficient for what ever type of card I decide to get (low end or high end).
m
l
October 17, 2011 8:12:43 PM

Ah damn it! Its sold out! Here's to hoping they restock.

Thanks everyone for your input.
m
l
October 17, 2011 10:16:38 PM

Best answer selected by ThatConfusedMofo.
m
l
a b À AMD
October 19, 2011 12:30:18 AM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
I was considering THIS PSU

As for video card plans, I will be using the integrated chip set (HD 4250) for now, and some where down the line I'll spring for a dedicated. Considering that the board only has one PCI x16 slot, I feel that 600W should be sufficient for what ever type of card I decide to get (low end or high end).

The 600W would be slightly overkill, but probably run pretty efficiently at the level you're talking about, at least after the video card.

Integrated video is fine for many folks, I wouldn't do without a video card but thats me.
m
l
October 19, 2011 12:49:41 AM

buzznut said:
The 600W would be slightly overkill, but probably run pretty efficiently at the level you're talking about, at least after the video card.

Integrated video is fine for many folks, I wouldn't do without a video card but thats me.

The integrated card is just temporary. So you think I should go with a 500 watt, selectong psu wattage is something I've never been confident with, I'm gonna throw a hypothetical at you, (remember this is strictly hypothetical) lets say I decide to get a gtx 580, would a 500 watt psu be enough to power the build?
m
l
a b À AMD
October 19, 2011 1:45:42 AM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
The integrated card is just temporary. So you think I should go with a 500 watt, selectong psu wattage is something I've never been confident with, I'm gonna throw a hypothetical at you, (remember this is strictly hypothetical) lets say I decide to get a gtx 580, would a 500 watt psu be enough to power the build?

The easy answer is no, I would grab a bigger power supply for a GTX 580. Probably 650W.

Here's a power supply calculator:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If you want to learn more about power supplies, visit Johnny Guru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

When it comes to graphics cards, it may be essential to know how many amps are on the 12V rail(s). This could be a determining factor, as a simple "500W" may not be sufficient. Typically graphics card manufacturers will list a minimum PSU recommendation (in Watts), but there are a lot of lousy power supplies out there.

Take a typical PSU. Lets say it has one 12V rail and its rated at 20A. These are fairly typical numbers. 12V X 20A= 240Watts. This means at max load, it can support a video card at 240Watts. However, if you had a 240W card you can see where a little more capacity would be better. So it depends on the quality of the 500W PSU, and how many AMPs are available on the 12V.

Also at issue is efficiency. A 500W power supply running at the top end of its output will not run very efficiently. A power supply will enjoy its best efficiency in the middle of its output range, so a higher rating may be better. Most enthusiasts ensure they have extra power for possible upgrades for dual cards, or just a very powerful top end card. So you are thinking correctly, a little extra power is ok. We caution folks not to spend too much on a PSU, all the time I see guys with a system that can run on 500W and they're paying $200 for a 1000W.

Take me for example; I have an HD 4850 that requires a 500W PSU. I also have a lot of fans, cold cathodes, and other add ons such that when fully loaded, calculated I can conceivably be pulling 520W. I have a 650W power supply, so i never need worry about not running efficiently or pushing the limits of my PSU.
m
l
!