Sign in with
Your question

Connection cables for new PC

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2012 8:42:43 PM

I just bought a new case because my motherboard didn't fit. It came with 4 SATA cables. Do I need to use those to hook up the hard drive, dvd drive, and blu ray drive? I am going to pull the existing hard drive, dvd drive and blu ray drive from my old pc and didn't know what cables to use to hook them up into my new case. Thank you.

More about : connection cables

January 17, 2012 8:52:57 PM

if you swapping the motherboard in, as long as your drives are SATA, both cords will work fine...
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:53:28 PM

Yeah, unless you had a IDE hard drive or dvd drive but most likely you won't. So yes.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 8:54:12 PM

steel

it depends on your pc, if it is older than 5-6 years old then it might use ide then you would have to use thoes cables and thats if your board has ide connections

most computers after then have parts that have sata connections on them

(seeing as you mentioned bluray drive it will be the red sata cables)

refer to the manual of your pc motherboard to find out where to plug them. put the hdd in sata slot one and rest where ever

always refer to the manual before pluggin anything in or you could damage some components
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:56:06 PM

no, you dont have to use the new cables, however, i would keep them around incase you need extras in the future.
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:54:52 PM

l will take a look at the manual tomorrow. It is my first time building a computer so I am quite nervous. I bought the AMD Sabertooth 990 FX motherboard so I don't want to do anything to damage it. My old CPU was only a year old. Hopefully I won't need any other cables. If I may ask, what are SATA cables? I will post on here once the job is done. Hopefully it will only take a day or so to install everything. I have been watching videos on youtube on installing components. Thank you.
m
l
!