Sign in with
Your question

Can't disable Onboard Graphics in BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
November 16, 2012 9:28:19 PM

Hello,

I just got my new MSI Twin Frozr 7850 graphics card. I installed it without any problems. But, I can't get any display from it. The fans power on and the card is receiving power, but not outputting a display. My integrated Intel graphics work just fine.

To solve this, I went into BIOS to disable my onboard Intel graphics. Problem is, there is no way to disable them. I looked under Integrated Peripherals and everywhere else but could not find the option. :fou: 

Do I need to update BIOS? Can I? I'm really stuck here.

My system specs:
Intel i5 3330k CPU
MSI Twin Frozr 2GB 7850 HD
ThermalTake 600w PSU
8 GB Ram
1TB Hard drive
Acer IPIMB-AR Mobo

Thanks in advance.

November 16, 2012 11:02:44 PM

Hey, I don't think you need to disable your integrated graphics. I've got a 3570K with a dedicated graphics card, and I can simply switch between display outputs by changing the physical connection between start-ups. Have you tested the graphics card in another system?
m
l
November 16, 2012 11:18:58 PM

Hmm. When I change the connection between start-ups I get no signal to my monitor. It doesn't matter if I'm using my integrated graphics or my card. Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to test it in at the moment. Hopefully I can try to set it up in my friend's system this weekend.

Until then, any other suggestions are welcome, because I'm still pretty clueless :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2012 11:19:22 PM

There are 2 setting in CMOS setup that can affect where the video signal is routed on the computer.

The first is in CMOS/Advanced Chipset Features..... it is called Dual Monitor support.
It can be enabled or disabled. (default is disabled)

The second is in CMOS/PnP/PCI configurations...... it is called Init Display First.
It can be set to PCIex or onboard or PCI (default is PCIex)
m
l
November 16, 2012 11:23:42 PM

ss202sl said:
There are 2 setting in CMOS setup that can affect where the video signal is routed on the computer.

The first is in CMOS/Advanced Chipset Features..... it is called Dual Monitor support.
It can be enabled or disabled. (default is disabled)

The second is in CMOS/PnP/PCI configurations...... it is called Init Display First.
It can be set to PCIex or onboard or PCI (default is PCIex)

I originally went into my bios to change the settings for that. I went to Integrated Peripherals, but there wasn't an option for Init Display First under it. Just some things to do with LAN and SATA :fou: 
m
l
November 17, 2012 2:38:40 PM

It's also probably worth noting that I have Windows 8. That could be my problem. I didn't exactly want it, but my PC came with it. Everything on it is way harder to use and get to than on Windows 7. But if there's any compatibility issues you know of with Windows 8, please share them.

Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 2:49:17 PM

Did you try both ports on the video card? Silly question, its does happen though, only one of them will work as the main display port. Have you looked in the device manager to see if the card shows up?
m
l
November 17, 2012 3:10:21 PM

Tried every port on the card. I can't get to device manager because I can't get a display when the card is plugged in. So the only way I can get to device manager to enable it would be using my onboard graphics, which defeats the whole purpose.

At this point I think the problem might be Windows 8 not even recognizing the card. Not positive though.
m
l
November 17, 2012 3:28:09 PM

I've tried everything. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that my OS just flat out won't detect this card. I guess I will be processing ANOTHER return with Amazon, as the first card I ordered was defective.

I'll most likely be purchasing a GTX 560 Ti. I'll see how that goes.

But anyways, thanks for all the help guys. I'm really impressed by the community here.

Thanks again :) 

m
l
November 18, 2012 8:37:47 PM

Hey again, aswankplatypus. I have very, very limited experience of Windows 8, but I doubt it's the OS that's the problem. If you can't see any display during POST or in the BIOS, then there's something wrong with the graphics card.

Does your motherboard have two PCI-E ports and have you tried the secondary one?
m
l
November 21, 2012 4:14:43 PM

Hey guys, I got my 560 in the mail yesterday.

Popped it in, and it worked fine. Powered up, installed the drivers and everything. Flawless.

Not sure what was wrong with the other cards, but I finally have one working :D 

Thanks for all your time and responses.
m
l
!