Hyper 212 EVO with RipJaws X and Asus P8Z77-V

hogwallow

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
After reading a dozen posts here and elsewhere, I'm getting conflicting signals on whether the combo of the RipJaws X (4 sticks) memory and Hyper 212 EVO cooler on a P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard works. I've read:

1. The RAM fits fine, no problem, even with the fan.
2. The RAM fits but you'll have to raise the fan up a bit.
3. The RAM fits, but only with slot 1 empty unless you move the fan to the other side.
4. Forget it. Go buy low-profile memory.

Does anyone who has this precise combo know the definitive answer?

Solution
On a side note, the EVO fan clips onto the heatsink, so if I had issues with high profile RAM I would probably just move my fan so it's not perfectly centered on my heatsink. Moving the fan a couple millimeters won't have a drastic impact on the cooling, but would give extra clearance.
I don't have a definitive answer, but I assume people that have clearance issues is due to using all 4 DIMMs. I only use 2 DIMMS (2x4GB) and I have no issue with my ASRock mobo + CM EVO + Ripjawz. However, if I were to try the DIMM closest to the fan then I might have issues. Just eye balling it I'd say the fin would touch the CM fan.

If you want 16gb then I'd suggest low profile RAM to be safe. Performance difference, in my opinion, is negligible. On the other hand, if you are using only 2 DIMMs then you should be fine with high profile like the RipJawz.

On a side note, the EVO fan clips onto the heatsink, so if I had issues with high profile RAM I would probably just move my fan so it's not perfectly centered on my heatsink. Moving the fan a couple millimeters won't have a drastic impact on the cooling, but would give extra clearance.

Solution

A pull seems much weaker. If I had to, I'd rather just move the fan a couple notches.

Are you using 2x4gb or 4x4gb?

hogwallow

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

I'm using 4x8gb; Photoshop loves a lot of memory.

srirambond007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Just as a reference for someone who has plans to buy this kinda config.. I use the exact similar config, 212 EVO with 4 sticks of 4GB Ripjaws X and Asus P8 -V motherboard. Just a small lift to the fan on the 212 is enough. It will fit perfectly. Hope this will help someone in the future.

TRENDING THREADS