Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Update BIOS Question

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 3:31:39 AM

It doesn't have flashback. You will need a supported CPU or a BIOS chip programmed with the latest version.
Score
November 17, 2012 5:38:51 PM

I meant to say, update. Updating the BIOS.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 5:47:24 PM

"I meant to say, update. Updating the BIOS."

Yes, for updating the BIOS you'll need to access it. And you'll not be able without a supported CPU.
Or you can buy a BIOS chip that is flashed with the lastest version, remove the board's one from the socket and insert the new one. In US you can order one for your board from ASUS eStore.

Have you bought the CPU or not yet? Do you know what's the board's BIOS version?
Score
November 17, 2012 11:21:43 PM

alexoiu said:
"I meant to say, update. Updating the BIOS."

Yes, for updating the BIOS you'll need to access it. And you'll not be able without a supported CPU.
Or you can buy a BIOS chip that is flashed with the lastest version, remove the board's one from the socket and insert the new one. In US you can order one for your board from ASUS eStore.

Have you bought the CPU or not yet? Do you know what's the board's BIOS version?

I have a i5-2400 presently. I put that in a year ago waiting for IB to drop in price. Im skipping over Haswell.
Score
November 18, 2012 4:09:45 AM

One thing puzzles me, after update, and system reboots, is that when you shut it off by pulling plug out or wait till it boots to the desktop, shut off computer and pull plug.
Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 4:18:03 AM

I ddn't know you had a suppoted CPU.
Shut it off for what?
Score
November 18, 2012 4:31:48 AM

alexoiu said:
I ddn't know you had a suppoted CPU.
Shut it off for what?

I was reading the instructions on that website for EZ utility. Steps 12-14:

Select the BIOS file (e.g. P5BD1101.ROM) and press <Enter> to start flashing. Supervise the update, which includes the following stages: Erasing - Flashing (writing) - Verification. BIOS will automatically restart when the update is ready.

Disconnect the USB Flash Disk before/during the restart.

Perform a C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall) which resets the chipset. Power down, remove power cord from the PSU for 2 minutes and then power up.

---------------------

Yes. That was the reason why I got this board because it accepts SB/IB. It wasn't until later I found out the BIOS had to be updated for IB. I dont make a habit of updating BIOS. This would be my second time total. I did a almost total update of my system parts before I got this board. I got the i5-2400 dirt cheap knowing I would eventually get IB. The 3770k dropped to $225 so I grabbed it. I was going to use the updater but read the article seeing DONT DO THE UPDATER. EZ Flash seems easy.
Score

Best solution

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 5:04:40 AM

Download the latest BIOS file from http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
Unzip and save it on a FAT formatted USB stick.
Insert the stick in a USB 2.0 port.
Restart from Windows and enter BIOS. Check the SATA setting (AHCI or IDE). Set BIOS to default. Save, exit and enter BIOS again.
Go to Advanced, Tools, EZ Flash 2 Utility, Enter, Select the USB stick, the unzipped BIOS file, then Enter to flash.
Do not shut down or reset while updating. Pray to not have power issues during the flashing process.
When the update is done, restart, enter BIOS, set it and that's all.
Make sure the system does boot, Windows does load and everything is OK. Then you can shut down, unplug the power supply and replace the CPU. I would remove the board from the case when replacing the CPU.
November 18, 2012 4:47:33 PM

alexoiu said:
Download the latest BIOS file from http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
Unzip and save it on a FAT formatted USB stick.
Insert the stick in a USB 2.0 port.
Restart from Windows and enter BIOS. Check the SATA setting (AHCI or IDE). Set BIOS to default. Save, exit and enter BIOS again.
Go to Advanced, Tools, EZ Flash 2 Utility, Enter, Select the USB stick, the unzipped BIOS file, then Enter to flash.
Do not shut down or reset while updating. Pray to not have power issues during the flashing process.
When the update is done, restart, enter BIOS, set it and that's all.
Make sure the system does boot, Windows does load and everything is OK. Then you can shut down, unplug the power supply and replace the CPU. I would remove the board from the case when replacing the CPU.

This is weird. Why is it asking if I want to read this file when I click on the BIOS file on my USB stick.
Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 5:05:06 PM

If you have the manual, you'll find there the entire process explained.
Score
November 18, 2012 5:15:07 PM

Yes, I do. I had it out the whole time before and after this post. For some reason, it doesn't want to accept the .rom file (BIOS update) in EZ Flash 2 from my USB stick. It says, do you want to read file. I clicked yes then I got; error window saying, bad file or something. Freaking insanity. I downloaded the zipped file from Asus, I followed the instructions of unzipping the file. I put the .rom file on the USB and it should of accepted it. Here I am shaking cause this is one part Im scared of doing lol.

USB is Fat32
Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 5:36:17 PM

Cold you please check the board's DVD? It has a file .ROM. What's the name of the file?
You don't have to worry. Even if something goes wrong, for about 15-18 $ you can buy a BIOS chip and replace the board's one.
Score
November 18, 2012 5:45:23 PM

alexoiu said:
Cold you please check the board's DVD? It has a file .ROM. What's the name of the file?
You don't have to worry. Even if something goes wrong, for about 15-18 $ you can buy a BIOS chip and replace the board's one.

DVD is misplaced thanks to my wife who loves to move things when she sees things out. My luck, she sees the DVD near my system and stores it...somewhere......she can't remember where! Luckily the manual wasn't moved but on Asus' website, it had the manual as well. When I went into the CPU list, I scrolled down to i7-3770k, clicked go next to it, it downloaded, the 3404 BIOS folder labeled "P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-3402" and inside is: Asus P8Z68-V-Pro-3402.rom
Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 6:15:31 PM

Yes, but I suspect that it's a name issue when the ASUS utility doesn't recognize the file. Try renaming the P8Z68-V-Pro-3402.rom to P8Z68VP.ROM and see if it does work this way.
Score
November 18, 2012 6:32:36 PM

alexoiu said:
Yes, but I suspect that it's a name issue when the ASUS utility doesn't recognize the file. Try renaming the P8Z68-V-Pro-3402.rom to P8Z68VP.ROM and see if it does work this way.

I was kind of thinking that the "-" migh be causing a conflict. I shortened it to Asus3402.rom. Lets see if that works...
Score
November 18, 2012 6:44:29 PM

Tried, nope...same error message: "image integrity check failed." Here's the 2 pics, pic #1 shows the .rom file and I renamed it and the window that shows NOPE.....Pic #2, Basically shows whats on thumb drive. I was thinking of reformatting it. Good idea? Pic #3 shows the window that asks when I clicked Format, everything look ok to allow format?

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 6:53:03 PM

Weird. Try a previos version.
Score
November 18, 2012 7:02:34 PM

alexoiu said:
Weird. Try a previos version.

I uploaded pictures to show you. Maybe it doesnt like the number in the file? Change it to Asus.rom? I emailed Asus as well. I got an email back yesterday but I think theyre off today :)  I might call them tomorrow to perhaps walk me thru to make sure Im not missing something. It was odd, when I loaded defaults, saved and exit, my system shut itself off, turned on, shut itself off, turned on, shut itself off, turned on and then loaded to windows. Odd!

If I use a earlier BIOS version, it wont recognize the i7-3770k. Apparently, the newest BIOS is the one..not any older.
Score
November 18, 2012 7:50:42 PM

alexoiu said:
There's also another method described in the manual: ASUS BIOS Updater. You might try that method too.
Or you can order a BIOS chip from ASUS eStore and replace the board's one: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=...
It's pretty easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLEQoWRq41k

You mean the Asus updater in there AI Suite? Yes, I was looking at that but the poster before you had that link and in bold it said, dont use Asus updater. I was thinking of trying that but waiting for Asus to respond, I might call them tomorrow. If mobo fails...I can always replace it with a z77 board lol. I got the CPU :) 

I saw the chip when I was in the Asus store. That is interesting.
Score
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 7:54:51 PM

Not the one in Windows (Ai SUite), but the one in DOS.
Score
November 18, 2012 8:00:51 PM

alexoiu said:
Not the one in Windows (Ai SUite), but the one in DOS.

Ah, yes. I was reading that in the manual also. I'll reformat the thumb drive and download it again and try once more. If Asus emails me tonight, I might call them tonight. If not, I might go with the chip depending on when it would be delivered since Im off this Thurs-Fri.

Score
November 18, 2012 8:02:01 PM

Thanks for all your advice. I'll keep you informed as to what I do and if Im finally successful.
Score
November 19, 2012 11:33:50 PM

Best answer selected by mikeny.
Score
!