Sega Selling SONIC TEAM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories/19561_0_5_0_M/

Rumor: Changhong And Zarva To Jointly Acquire Sega Subsidiaries

Changhong, Online Game, Phantasy Star Online, Sega, Sonic Team, Zarva
Technology

Posted by: EricWan on Dec 30

Editorial Summary

Changhong (SH: 600839) and Zarva Technology (SZ: 000688) will jointly
acquire Sega's R&D team in China and Sega's subsidiary Sonic Team, reports
Tom Online quoting an unnamed source. Changhong and Zarva established a
joint venture in September for the IT market. The joint venture might look
for capital cooperation with Sega, said an insider. Currently Zarva
Technology's subsidiary Zarva Digital Entertainment is the mainland China
operator of Sega's Q-style online game Phantasy Star Online. Sega
established a gaming branch in Shanghai in June.

..................................DOESN'T BELIEVE
IT.....BUT........................

Xenon wrote:
> http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories/19561_0_5_0_M/
>
> Rumor: Changhong And Zarva To Jointly Acquire Sega Subsidiaries
>
> Changhong, Online Game, Phantasy Star Online, Sega, Sonic Team, Zarva
> Technology
>
> Posted by: EricWan on Dec 30
>
> Editorial Summary
>
> Changhong (SH: 600839) and Zarva Technology (SZ: 000688) will jointly
> acquire Sega's R&D team in China and Sega's subsidiary Sonic Team, reports
> Tom Online quoting an unnamed source. Changhong and Zarva established a
> joint venture in September for the IT market. The joint venture might look
> for capital cooperation with Sega, said an insider. Currently Zarva
> Technology's subsidiary Zarva Digital Entertainment is the mainland China
> operator of Sega's Q-style online game Phantasy Star Online. Sega
> established a gaming branch in Shanghai in June.
>

> .................................DOESN'T BELIEVE
> IT.....BUT........................

Well, if it is true, then the naysayers about Sammy's purchase of Sega
were right, and Sega is to Sammy what Atari is to Infogrames. Just a name.

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.

Ted wrote:
> Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
> integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
> company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
> again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.

Still, it would be akin to when Nintendo sold Rare in that Sonic Team
haven't done anything particularly good in ages.

"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
> integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
> company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
> again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.

Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?

Cullen Skink wrote:
> "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
>>integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
>>company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
>>again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
>

> Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?

I think that was Yu Suzuki's team ( a new one, not AM2 ).

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath

Scott H wrote:
> Cullen Skink wrote:
>
>> "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
>>> integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
>>> company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
>>> again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
>>

>> Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?
>>

> I think that was Yu Suzuki's team ( a new one, not AM2 ).

Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
or Sonic Team.

"Omega X" <.SPAM.lh_bennett@isp.com> wrote in message
> Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
> or Sonic Team.

That's really never stopped them before.

Inky Toonstein wrote:
> "Omega X" <.SPAM.lh_bennett@isp.com> wrote in message
>
>>Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
>>or Sonic Team.
>

> That's really never stopped them before.

eeh eeh *snort* good plug dood.

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Cullen Skink wrote:

> "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
> > integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
> > company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
> > again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
>
> Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?

None of the Sega owned companies were immediately following September
30, 2004, according to Sega's interim financial report, page 4.
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/irlib_tanshin.html

It was rumored that Yu Suzuki's seperate division (not AM2, the one with
Shenmue as its major asset) was given total independence and is now
owned outside of Sega/Sammy, but I haven't seen much of anything
confirming or denying that.

The company is asking for a decrease in capital reserves, which might
imply they are not expecting a cash infusion from a division sale, but
it also might mean they're gathering funds for something specific that a
division sale would contribute to.
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/Notice141204-Capital%20Reserve.pdf