Sega Selling SONIC TEAM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories/19561_0_5_0_M/

Rumor: Changhong And Zarva To Jointly Acquire Sega Subsidiaries

Changhong, Online Game, Phantasy Star Online, Sega, Sonic Team, Zarva
Technology

Posted by: EricWan on Dec 30

Editorial Summary

Changhong (SH: 600839) and Zarva Technology (SZ: 000688) will jointly
acquire Sega's R&D team in China and Sega's subsidiary Sonic Team, reports
Tom Online quoting an unnamed source. Changhong and Zarva established a
joint venture in September for the IT market. The joint venture might look
for capital cooperation with Sega, said an insider. Currently Zarva
Technology's subsidiary Zarva Digital Entertainment is the mainland China
operator of Sega's Q-style online game Phantasy Star Online. Sega
established a gaming branch in Shanghai in June.

..................................DOESN'T BELIEVE
IT.....BUT........................
9 answers Last reply
More about sega selling sonic team
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Xenon wrote:
    > http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories/19561_0_5_0_M/
    >
    > Rumor: Changhong And Zarva To Jointly Acquire Sega Subsidiaries
    >
    > Changhong, Online Game, Phantasy Star Online, Sega, Sonic Team, Zarva
    > Technology
    >
    > Posted by: EricWan on Dec 30
    >
    > Editorial Summary
    >
    > Changhong (SH: 600839) and Zarva Technology (SZ: 000688) will jointly
    > acquire Sega's R&D team in China and Sega's subsidiary Sonic Team, reports
    > Tom Online quoting an unnamed source. Changhong and Zarva established a
    > joint venture in September for the IT market. The joint venture might look
    > for capital cooperation with Sega, said an insider. Currently Zarva
    > Technology's subsidiary Zarva Digital Entertainment is the mainland China
    > operator of Sega's Q-style online game Phantasy Star Online. Sega
    > established a gaming branch in Shanghai in June.
    >

    > .................................DOESN'T BELIEVE
    > IT.....BUT........................

    Well, if it is true, then the naysayers about Sammy's purchase of Sega
    were right, and Sega is to Sammy what Atari is to Infogrames. Just a name.

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Ted wrote:
    > Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    > integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    > company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    > again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.

    Still, it would be akin to when Nintendo sold Rare in that Sonic Team
    haven't done anything particularly good in ages.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    > integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    > company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    > again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.

    Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Cullen Skink wrote:
    > "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    >>integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    >>company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    >>again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
    >

    > Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?

    I think that was Yu Suzuki's team ( a new one, not AM2 ).

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Scott H wrote:
    > Cullen Skink wrote:
    >
    >> "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    >>> integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    >>> company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    >>> again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
    >>

    >> Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?
    >>

    > I think that was Yu Suzuki's team ( a new one, not AM2 ).

    Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
    or Sonic Team.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    "Omega X" <.SPAM.lh_bennett@isp.com> wrote in message
    > Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
    > or Sonic Team.

    That's really never stopped them before.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Inky Toonstein wrote:
    > "Omega X" <.SPAM.lh_bennett@isp.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Regardless, Sega would be STUPID to sell off anything valuable like AM2
    >>or Sonic Team.
    >

    > That's really never stopped them before.

    eeh eeh *snort* good plug dood.

    --
    Scott

    Game Pilgrimage
    http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

    Cullen Skink wrote:

    > "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Very odd considering Sonic Team is no longer a subsidiary, it's an
    > > integrated division; all the old development houses lost their separate
    > > company status awhile back. Unless Sonic Team was recently spun off
    > > again, the piece is using an incorrect factual scenario.
    >
    > Wasn't Sonic Team the only one that remained a separate team?

    None of the Sega owned companies were immediately following September
    30, 2004, according to Sega's interim financial report, page 4.
    http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/irlib_tanshin.html

    It was rumored that Yu Suzuki's seperate division (not AM2, the one with
    Shenmue as its major asset) was given total independence and is now
    owned outside of Sega/Sammy, but I haven't seen much of anything
    confirming or denying that.

    The company is asking for a decrease in capital reserves, which might
    imply they are not expecting a cash infusion from a division sale, but
    it also might mean they're gathering funds for something specific that a
    division sale would contribute to.
    http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/Notice141204-Capital%20Reserve.pdf

Console Gaming Sega Games Video Video Games