  • Headsets
Last response: in Technologies
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 8:41:25 AM

Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
capabilities.

My phone & service provided by Nextel.
The cell phone is made by Motorola (model i830).

Nextel has no bluetooth technology built into any of their current phone
system line-up.
The Nextel tech. i talked with said "they had under estimated the
popularity of bluetooth technology & they are now scrambling to
incorporate bluetooth into their network system". The Nextel tech. told
me "doing this has been very difficult & they are still not 100% that
they can do it without a major network system overhaul."

Back to my problem:
Is there any wireless headsets for my Motorola (i830) cell phone?
Their tech said "he was unaware of any but he was not trained to deal
with that hardware accessory".

Any help?
I need Brand names & model #, please!

S_H

More about : wireless headset cell phone

November 12, 2004 3:00:26 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:41:25 -0600, semi_head@webtv.net (Semi Head)
wrote:

>Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
>capabilities.

Asking in a Bluetooth newsgroup probably isn't the best way to start
then.
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 3:58:20 PM

In article <7804-4194A165-425@storefull-3114.bay.webtv.net>, Semi Head
<semi_head@webtv.net> writes
>Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
>capabilities.

Jabra used to do a bluetooth dongle for use with their headsets, that
plugs into the standard 2.5mm headset socket on the phone. Not sure of
details, have a look on their website

Cheers
--
Ben Mack
Watchfront Electronics - Bespoke R&D - http://www.watchfront.co.uk/

Ben Mack <nospam@ben.watchfront.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <7804-4194A165-425@storefull-3114.bay.webtv.net>, Semi Head
><semi_head@webtv.net> writes
>>Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
>>capabilities.
>
>Jabra used to do a bluetooth dongle for use with their headsets, that
>plugs into the standard 2.5mm headset socket on the phone. Not sure of
>details, have a look on their website
>
>Cheers

It is the BT 200.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

Sure it is, read the rest of his post. The Jabra BT200 is what you're
looking for. Going on Ebay for about $50 or so.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:00:26 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:41:25 -0600, semi_head@webtv.net (Semi Head)
>wrote:
>
>>Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
>>capabilities.
>
>Asking in a Bluetooth newsgroup probably isn't the best way to start
>then.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 1:18:23 AM

"Semi Head" <semi_head@webtv.net> wrote in message

> The Nextel tech. i talked with said "they had under estimated the
> popularity of bluetooth technology & they are now scrambling to
> incorporate bluetooth into their network system". The Nextel tech. told
> me "doing this has been very difficult & they are still not 100% that
> they can do it without a major network system overhaul."

HUH?? I would run full speed the other way from Nextel if one of their techs
told me that! First of all, bluetooth techology has nothing to do with any
cell phone network technology. BT is used short range (measured in feet or
meters) between a phone or other bluetooth device and another bluetooth
device.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 2:29:55 AM

Your Nextel tech doesn't know what he's talking about.

There is no such thing as "incorprate bluetooth into their network".
Bluetooth is a local (short distance) wireless protocol for communication
between devices like phones, hedsets, laptops, etc. The cellular network
has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

What you need is a phone with Bluetooth built in that can be used with a BT
headset. If Nextel doesn't offer a BT phone, that's probably because no
manufacturer makes an IDEN (Nextel-compatible) phone with Bluetooth.

GSM networks (T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular) have, by far, the largest selection
of phones with Bluetooth.

You should consider changing your provider.

"Semi Head" <semi_head@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Need wireless headset for cell phone that does not have bluetooth
> capabilities.
>
> My phone & service provided by Nextel.
> The cell phone is made by Motorola (model i830).
>
> Nextel has no bluetooth technology built into any of their current phone
> system line-up.
> The Nextel tech. i talked with said "they had under estimated the
> popularity of bluetooth technology & they are now scrambling to
> incorporate bluetooth into their network system". The Nextel tech. told
> me "doing this has been very difficult & they are still not 100% that
> they can do it without a major network system overhaul."
>
> Back to my problem:
> Is there any wireless headsets for my Motorola (i830) cell phone?
> Their tech said "he was unaware of any but he was not trained to deal
> with that hardware accessory".
>
> Any help?
> I need Brand names & model #, please!
>
> S_H

a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 6:52:35 AM

In article <419d3073$1_3@galaxy.uncensored-news.com>,
"J Wadle" <jwadle@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Your Nextel tech doesn't know what he's talking about.
>
> There is no such thing as "incorprate bluetooth into their network".
> Bluetooth is a local (short distance) wireless protocol for communication
> between devices like phones, hedsets, laptops, etc. The cellular network
> has nothing to do with Bluetooth.
>
> What you need is a phone with Bluetooth built in that can be used with a BT
> headset. If Nextel doesn't offer a BT phone, that's probably because no
> manufacturer makes an IDEN (Nextel-compatible) phone with Bluetooth.
>
> GSM networks (T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular) have, by far, the largest selection
> of phones with Bluetooth.
>
> You should consider changing your provider.

Since Motorola makes the v600 and now the v3 for Cingular with Bluetooth
built in, the lack of bluetooth in cell phones for Nextel, is Nextels'
choice.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 12:26:38 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:

> In article <419d3073$1_3@galaxy.uncensored-news.com>,
> "J Wadle" <jwadle@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Your Nextel tech doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>> There is no such thing as "incorprate bluetooth into their network".
>> Bluetooth is a local (short distance) wireless protocol for communication
>> between devices like phones, hedsets, laptops, etc. The cellular network
>> has nothing to do with Bluetooth.
>>
>> What you need is a phone with Bluetooth built in that can be used with a
>> BT
>> headset. If Nextel doesn't offer a BT phone, that's probably because no
>> manufacturer makes an IDEN (Nextel-compatible) phone with Bluetooth.
>>
>> GSM networks (T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular) have, by far, the largest
>> selection of phones with Bluetooth.
>>
>> You should consider changing your provider.
>>

> Since Motorola makes the v600 and now the v3 for Cingular with Bluetooth
> built in, the lack of bluetooth in cell phones for Nextel, is Nextels'
> choice.

Not quite. The v600 is not an IDEN phone. The Motorola IDEN phones have an
"i" prefix.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)