Did I fry my motherboard?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hi everyone,

So I've made a huge mistake. I very stupidly plugged a hard drive into the power supply while the my PC was on. If I had been thinking at all I wouldn't have done it, but it's too late now. All that stuff about hindsight. The computer shut down immediately and now when I have power running into it, it seems like the system is given power for a split second then turns off. It repeats this over and over and can't be turned on or anything. Did I fry the PSU? The motherboard? Everything? Will my other hard drives which were on the same power line be ok?

I need my system running for work so this is dire. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps or takes the time to read my post. It will be very much appreciated.

Here is a video of what happens when the PSU is turned on (not the system, just plugging in the power cable and hitting the PSU switch):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5nVpKefy4&noredirect=1

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Ok so according to that PSU test, my PSU is fine. Does that confirm 100% that my mobo is fried? Thanks for this great response!

Well I don't have another PSU on hand to try and I need this PC desperately for work. Are you recommending buying another PSU to try it out? According to that fan test, if it is definitive, it's my mobo that's in trouble.

No, If the fan does spin, the test is not relevant as the PSU might fail under load. It would be good to borrow one and test before buying one. Or have the components tested at a local shop. Sometimes it's cheaper than buying components only to realize that the fault is elsewhere.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
God damn I can't believe I didn't clear the CMOS. That should be one of the basic first steps but the problem was so weird and I thought it was the PSU so I skipped over it. I still need to get everything wired back up but I think I'm good to go. Clearing CMOS solved the problem I think.

TRENDING THREADS