Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for first build

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2011 3:13:02 AM

Hi! I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now and I think its time to get your opinion/advices on my first build.
I want to be able to overclock my system, but I'm new to this game, so I'd like to have a build that is stable and leaves place for errors, if this exists!

I'll use it for gaming, but I also need it for development tools such as visual studio and adobe master collection CS 5.

Here is what i chose so far:

CPU: Intel I7 2600K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling: Noctua DH-14
RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengence Low Profile (supposed to fit under DH-14)
Graphics: msi twin froz III gtx 570 (i would eventually add another one in SLI)
Cooler Master HAF X Case
Patriot M4 SSD 120 GB SSD - (I want to stay away from SandForce SF-2281 BSOD issues, don't want to take chances)

Still wondering if I should use to 60 Gig SSD in raid 0 instead of THE 120 Gb (or 2 120...).

I'll add a 1 or 2TB hd too, haven't chosen yet.

What do you think, any advices or do you foresee any potential issues?
Thanks!

More about : advice build

October 18, 2011 3:18:10 AM

get the single drive, RAID on ssd isn't needed for speed (its plenty fast by itself) and can cause issues with TRIM garbage collection
m
l
October 18, 2011 3:44:20 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
get the single drive, RAID on ssd isn't needed for speed (its plenty fast by itself) and can cause issues with TRIM garbage collection

Thanks for the advice, thats pretty much along the lines of what I have been reading on it, i'll probably to stick to 1 120 Gb ssd
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 4:08:24 AM

Take a look at Asrock mobos. They have way more features for the money than the Asus ones, and everyone is giving them great reviews. Most of theire SB boards get 5 eggs on newegg.
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:56:43 PM

I think i'll stick with Asus, I wanted the Maximus IV Extreme-Z but its way too expensive for the difference with the P8Z68-V-Pro.
Since its i the first pc I'm going to build since 2000, I'll feel more confident with a mobo brand that I know and that I've use before. Ok, i'll admit it I'm an Asus fanboy for not other reasons that I've only had asus boards before, and from what i've been reading lately, they seem to be having the lead on durability/oc capacities

m
l
October 18, 2011 5:57:19 PM

For the PSU, what should I be looking for?
m
l
!