Mobo 64 bit or 32 bit?

Hi,

I'd like to know if I have a 64 bit mobo or 32 bit one.

I did a little searching myself and here are the results.

Step 1:
Start>All programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information
This shows:
System type: x-86 based PC

Step 2:
Start>Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools>View and print detailed performance and system information (just below the base score)
This shows:
System type: 32-bit operating system
64 bit capable: yes

I know the OS is 32 bit. I'd just like to know if the motherboard is 64 bit or not. :)


Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about mobo
  1. if your CPU is 64bit then yes....what is the model of your CPU?
  2. Ummm... I guess I'm going to sound silly, but how do I find out the model of the CPU? Its a laptop.
  3. By CPU did you mean the processor?
    Its Pentium Dual core, model is T4400.
  4. 64-bit capability depends on the CPU not the motherboard.
    The only reason to go 64-bit is if you want to take full advantage of 4 GB of RAM or more.
    Hope this helps.
  5. The Intel® Pentium® Processor T4400 is capable of 64-bit but in older CPU's, pre-IMC, both the CPU and MOBO must allow 64-bit support. The simplest way to know is if your specs state >4GB support or conclusively look-up your Chipset which can be found by looking at the 'Mainboard' tab of CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

    Example:
    Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset (4GB/(36)32-bit) - http://ark.intel.com/products/35501/Intel-82GL40-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub
  6. unreal9400 said:
    64-bit capability depends on the CPU not the motherboard.
    The only reason to go 64-bit is if you want to take full advantage of 4 GB of RAM or more.
    Hope this helps.

    jaquith said:
    The Intel® Pentium® Processor T4400 is capable of 64-bit but in older CPU's, pre-IMC, both the CPU and MOBO must allow 64-bit support. The simplest way to know is if your specs state >4GB support or conclusively look-up your Chipset which can be found by looking at the 'Mainboard' tab of CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

    Example:
    Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset (4GB/(36)32-bit) - http://ark.intel.com/products/35501/Intel-82GL40-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub


    I'm not much knowledgeable about these stuff. As far as I know, I can have a max of 4GB of RAM. I don't have 4GB RAM now, but I'm quite sure there are 2 slots for RAM, and one slot has a 2GB stick. If you guys suggest, I can add another 2 GB. I just want to know because I'm planning on a clean installation of OS. And my primary priority is Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5. I need these two just to practice for my course.

    I have tried CPU-z. But all those info are way beyond my understanding.
    Shall I upload the text file it generated?
  7. You should install 64-bit version of windows to take full advantage of the 64-bit capability you have and to utilize all 4 GB of RAM.
    And yes your CPU is 64-bit capable.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/40739/Intel-Pentium-Processor-T4400-1M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB-Socket-P
  8. Mobo12 said:
    ...I just want to know because I'm planning on a clean installation of OS. And my primary priority is Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5. I need these two just to practice for my course.

    I have tried CPU-z. But all those info are way beyond my understanding.
    Shall I upload the text file it generated?

    Chances are if you already have 4GB (3GB~3.5GB usable) you have both DIMM slots (RAM slots) filled with 2x2GB.

    RE: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5
    The T4400 is going to be really slow and 3.5GB vs 4GB or 32-bit vs 64-bit isn't really going to make any difference for those Adobe applications. For real-time transitions you need a discrete CUDA GPU and 16GB+ of RAM is recommended. Also, the slowest current CPU will run circles around your notebook.

    In the example below all the info that's needed is your Chipset and Southbridge (if applicable):
  9. jaquith said:
    Chances are if you already have 4GB (3GB~3.5GB usable) you have both DIMM slots (RAM slots) filled with 2x2GB.

    I'm quite certain I have 2 GB RAM (confirmed by Speccy). One of the slots is empty, I've checked myself. Naturally, there has to be a single 2GB stick installed. Besides, I never thought about installing 64 bit before, I never needed it!

    jaquith said:
    RE: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5
    The T4400 is going to be really slow and 3.5GB vs 4GB or 32-bit vs 64-bit isn't really going to make any difference for those Adobe applications. For real-time transitions you need a discrete CUDA GPU and 16GB+ of RAM if recommended. Also, the slowest current CPU will run circles around your notebook.

    I already have an i5-desktop with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 580 graphics card. But recently problems started in it and it is taking quite some time to be resolved. I feel I should have a temporary alternate for now and in case a similar incident happens again. That's why I thought of using my old lappy. Its a temporary substitute, not a permanent solution. I just need to use it in case something happens to the desktop again.

    Do you think its possible to add a graphics card to the laptop? I mean the GTX 580 I have, is it possible to use it in the laptop? And will it make any difference at all? Or do you suggest any other change. To be honest, I don't want to spend too much on a temporary substitute...

    jaquith said:
    In the example below all the info that's needed is your Chipset and Southbridge (if applicable):
    http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz-03.jpg

    As I said before, I'm not much knowledgeable about these stuff.

    unreal9400 said:
    You should install 64-bit version of windows to take full advantage of the 64-bit capability you have and to utilize all 4 GB of RAM.
    And yes your CPU is 64-bit capable.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/40739/Intel-Pentium-Processor-T4400-1M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB-Socket-P

    So I can use 64-bit software?

    Since I'll have to add another 2 GB RAM, which one would you guys prefer?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Control Panel Performance