Newly built tower is glitching

fawkestail

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hey guys,
i recently built a tower and it's consistantly glitching (it sounds like a CD is skipping if music is playing). I work for a PC repair company and i took it in and ran multiple hardware tests on it and all passed. and it, of course, was running perfect when i took it in. We eventually narrowed it down to a possible power issue. Meaning my surge protector wasn't giving it enough juice, causing my PC to glitch. So i plugged it straight into the wall, it worked fine for awhile and went straight back to glitching. Could this possibly be a power issue with my apartment? is that even possible?

My Specs are:
Intel i7-2700K 3.5Ghz
Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard
Radeon 6950 2GB Graphics
G-Skill 12GB DDR3 1866 RAM
Cosair 650W power supply

I've ran multiple virus/malware scans, even some outside of my OS and all is clean.

Any help would be much appreciated.

fawkestail

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

No real reason, i built the tower with a friend who has the same motherboard and we split a 8GB pair since i knew i wouldn't ever come close to 16GBs. Could that be a possibly issue? His is functioning fine on 12GBs.

fawkestail

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

yeah, it does. I'm booting my OS off of a 60GB SSD and running all other programs and periphials off of a 1.5TB HDD.

Computer especially hardware can be weird. I had a HDD that came with my old HP that worked fine for four months. Then one day while gaming it just stopped working. The computer booted fine and everything seemed normal. I then went into COD and it started to load the map and it BSoD. Called HP and they said it was the HDD. Sure enough it was.

Here's something else and maybe someone else can give their thoughts. Is there a possiblity that it can be some sort of interference like electromagnetic or RFI.

Reformatting the HDD isn't going to do anything if there is something wrong mechanically with the HDD. Reformatting isn't going to fix the read or platters if they're screwed up. The only thing you can do is replace it or keep using it until it fails, and it will eventually fail.