Mike

Splendid

when my computer is turned on i get the message: windows
did not styart etc, i have the options of safe mode, safe
mode withnetworking, safe mode with comand prompt, last
known etc, start normally.
none of these work it will go to the windows xp screen
then after 3 seconds shuts down and returns to the first
screen for safe mode.
i have tried using F8 for more options but they do the
same.
i have tried to repair using the microsoft recovery disc
but do not get the repair option it will only re-install
windows completely re-formatting hard drive, which i do
not want as there are data files which i need to get of
the hard drive.
could anyone please help get me out of this ground hog day
situation.
if so reply to (wheelerlaptop2@(remove this part)
tiscali.co.uk.
thanks
..

Mike--

I believe that if you have tried the so-called Windows Advanced Options menu
and gotten no wherer--meaning Safe Mode in some form to use System
Restore--Safe Mode with Networking is often advantageous because you have
access to the web with it, and Last Known Good which in my experience has
rarely worked, that you should follow the directions here because your
chances of a repair/upgrade install getting all your settings back are good
whereas a parallel install to another folder on your OS drive or another
drive forces you to salvage data and programs with possibly many
reinstallled programs necessary from your old installation.

Make sure you go to the bios and put the CD-Rom in front of the hard drive
in the booting order and then switch back when through.

You will get the option to upgrade and that's the one you want to select.
The terms repair install, upgrade install, and in place upgrade are tossed
around on the web and by MSFT in articles and KBs interchangably in contrast
with a parallel install described on the MSKB. Don't be worried when you
see the same screens with the Product Key that you saw when you first
installed. If you've misplaced your Product Key, then you can call MSFT and
give them the Part No. on the CD and for $10 they'll issue you a new product
key that will work.

This is from a nice site from one of the MSFT XP MVP's:

and this is the MSKB on a Repair versus Parallel Install:
How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

If that doesn't work, then I'd go to the Recovery Console. Here are 3
excellent resources:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307654

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

If you don't have it installed already as a boot option, boot from the CD
as I described above and press "R" when prompted, and then run these 4
commands (it preserves 13 classic dos commands and has some of its own).
It's a powerful tool to repair Windows when you can't get there, but I
context it as a last ditch tool.

Run:

fixmbr (rebuilds MBR)
fixboot
bootcfg /build (rebuilds boot.ini)
chkdsk /r

Odds are the "upgrade/repair install" will work nicely.

Good luck, and let me know how you do.

Best,

Chad Harris