Not open for further replies.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Specs: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM US2H
AMD X4 955 BE
2 STICKS DDR2 800 MHZ RAM
ANTEC EARTHWATTS 430

I got the ati radeon 6770 from Newegg today. I ran my specs thru xtreme power calc and get a minmum of 343 for all my components and 393 watts recommended. I have PCI-E 2.0 version on my mobo. My current gpu is ati 4670 and the wattage was very overstated and ran on my previous psu of 300 watts at the time. But don't want to blow my mobo either. Any advice would be great.

Steve

Solution
tweaktown is showing 263w total system draw with one ssd and one cd rom
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4099/sapphire_radeon_hd_6770_1gb_vapor_x_video_card_review/index16.html

now factoring in a mechanical HD and extra fans
I cant see the system drawing anymore than 350w MAX on load
that is with alot of fans dual dvdrws multiple HDs etc
so your antec 430w will be fine
especially since you are upgrading soon
a few years from now with capacitor aging the 430w would be
in trouble and ideally you dont want to run more than %50 of the PSU
the Antec 650watt Earthwatts series is on a good sale on Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
also the High current gamer series is priced nice too

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I am going to buy new antec or corsair psu next month, just wanted some community feedback if my earthwatts 430 will get my buy till then...vs pc damage. I am correct that pc won't start up, if lacks the correct psu wattage.???

tweaktown is showing 263w total system draw with one ssd and one cd rom
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4099/sapphire_radeon_hd_6770_1gb_vapor_x_video_card_review/index16.html

now factoring in a mechanical HD and extra fans
I cant see the system drawing anymore than 350w MAX on load
that is with alot of fans dual dvdrws multiple HDs etc
so your antec 430w will be fine
especially since you are upgrading soon
a few years from now with capacitor aging the 430w would be
in trouble and ideally you dont want to run more than %50 of the PSU
the Antec 650watt Earthwatts series is on a good sale on Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
also the High current gamer series is priced nice too

Solution

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Nope got a single western digital sata 7200. Just case fan and cpu fan, that's it. A dad on a budget and my gaming comes last after 3 girls. Ouch.....!!!

Wow, that was a good answer....maybe the "best answer"

Thank you

And Wow do I understand :)

I have a ten year old girl in private school and the wife
doesnt understand how important 60 FPS is in Crysis 2 LOL

As you can see from my sig
I am running a Dell optiplex 745 with OCd E4500 and HD 5670 OCd to the point of frying LOL
Hopefull with my tax refund I can do a X 3 Rana 455 build with either a HD 5770/6770 or GTX 460 1gb depending on how nice mr Taxman is and if something
like the water heater or stove dont blow up :)

always seems like when I have some money saved up for new build
something around the house breaks at the same time LOL

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking the the choir there. Just got the 955 x4 BE with my tax refund, trying to talk to fellow gamers about how hot it runs and cooling options. Two co-workers bought it also the same week, and have after market cooling and same temps as mine with stock cooling. Wife chimes into returning it and blah, blah, blah.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks, trying to get primed for Battlefield 3 and MWF 3!!!!!!!!!

Did you post a thread about it?
IF so link it here and so we can take a look at it

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
No thread, dropped the voltage down on my mobo. Which dropped the temp down from 45c to 34c. When turn on pc, temp is 29c..then 35c after some warm up. When youtube watching hits 40-41c and gaming like battlefield bad co..hits 45-46c. Prime 95 or torture tests max's at 51-52c.

temps sound great to me
my Core2Duo OCd to 3ghz hits 65-70c prime95
with a ambient room temp of 75F
dont freak out about temps especially idle
most CPUs can run 60-70c max with no problems
way before you can do damage to the CPU it will throttle itself and then shut down
and that is going over 90c and higher

what is the ambient temp of room

45c in a 68F room is real hot for idle
but in a 75f room that isnt horrible

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
stock cooler came with 955 BE. I've tried artic silver 5 and artic MX-2. Same results. But coworker has very good cooler, the hyper 212. He's got the same heat numbers. The max on the 955 is 63c, so make us both uneasy when hits 51c. But willing to try anything, just want a cooler that someone else uses with my cpu. Proven to bring the heat down.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

You were very helpful with this thread last week, so maybe you can ease my "paranoid" mind. Have you heard of any software that will show me the total wattage being used with this new "now installed" ati hd 6770. Have been web searching all day, but only find five yr old posts and just mentions to volt meters that you have to buy. Little hand held thing. I played all the crysis games and didn't get any flickering, black screens...etc. All i have is the following:

amd x4 955 BE 125 watt cpu
2 sticks ddr2 800 gskill
ati hd 6770
lightscribe dvd rw
WD HD 80gb sata 7200
cpu fan
case fan
usb keyboard
mouse
2 logitech speakers

Second question....6770 came with dvi to hdmi connector. I'm already getting 1920 x 1080 with the dvi current lcd connection. Will this hdmi plug give me anything better, far as graphics?????

thx, Steve

rockyjohn

Distinguished

You just have to get your priorities straight. If you did more gaming then you would not have 3 girls and would have the money for top of the line equipment. And look at the pickle you are in now. As they get older they may need computers (yours or new ones) for homework and gaming and then where are you going to be? Hope you did not give them the hereditary gaming addict gene.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thankfully got them laptops, and cell phones glued to their heads. We have halo marathons on the 360. There was a time could beat them down with one hand, now getting to be a challenge or they gang up on me. They like Tomb Raider, don't care for my Modern Warfare's, Battlefield...etc. So they have a girls version of the bug...thx

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

So you got answer to my question...You were very helpful with this thread last week, so maybe you can ease my "paranoid" mind. Have you heard of any software that will show me the total wattage being used with this new "now installed" ati hd 6770. Have been web searching all day, but only find five yr old posts and just mentions to volt meters that you have to buy. Little hand held thing. I played all the crysis games and didn't get any flickering, black screens...etc. All i have is the following:

amd x4 955 BE 125 watt cpu
2 sticks ddr2 800 gskill
ati hd 6770
lightscribe dvd rw
WD HD 80gb sata 7200
cpu fan
case fan
usb keyboard
mouse
2 logitech speakers

Second question....6770 came with dvi to hdmi connector. I'm already getting 1920 x 1080 with the dvi current lcd connection. Will this hdmi plug give me anything better, far as graphics?????

The Antec Earthwatts 430w is a great PSU
It can definetly handle your system
but thinking of the future
you should think about something more powerful

Newegg has the Kill a Watt meter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

that is something like what they use in reviews in mags

edit

the HDMI adds audio to your video signal
so you can have sound and video on same cable
but it is the same quality video with DVI and HDMI
no difference
so stick with a straight DVI connection

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I am not aware of what software can record your actual voltages. However you can calculate the theoretical requirements for your actual system by using the power calculator at this site. Note that it has a free "Lite" tool that calculate only the total power requirement and a subscription "Pro" tool which for a few dollars (ranging from $2 for 3 days to $10 for lifetime) will also calculate the load on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v circuits. I recommend the Pro tool as a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS