Advice on pre build

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I would very much like someone to check my pre built system prior to me placing a order this Friday and give me views and advice. I also have a few questions at the end.

My budget £1400 and needs to include a monitor however I would like to save some cash and get a system I “need” to perform the tasks I will use it for. I want the system to be fast I have seen Apple’s that boot and are ready to go in a matter of seconds
I am not able to build my own system at the moment due to lack of knowledge and confidence.

I am planning on using Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 aswell I have read reviews that this no longer slows down system performance and is now configured for gaming and does not slow gaming down.

The system will be used for the below tasks and nothing more – its probably worth noting that any games will only be RTS and MMORPG’s as I have a xbox which I prefer to play titles such as call of duty and first person shooter / action games.

Gaming (WoW Cata / Dawn of War 2 Series / Starcraft 2) I want to play these games on the maximum graphics setting on a 24” monitor – I may also try the new Star Wars MMORPG when its released

Watching movies and Blu Rays via HDMI connection on my 50” plasma TV
Downloading Movies & Music (I do a lot of this)
Burning DVD’s & CD’s (a lot)
Web Browsing
iTunes
Microsoft Office Pro 2010
Social Networking

The Build / Configuration:

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case or Xigmatek Asgard

Processor:
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler:
Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Additional Cooling:
2 x Blue LED Case Fans

Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard

Memory:
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2048MB Graphics Card (ASUS Direct CU II or Palit Factory Overclocked)

1st Hard Drive:
40GB Corsair Force Solid State Drive

2nd Hard Drive:
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk

SSD Caching Configuration - Choose one Hard drive and one SSD

1st Optical Drive:
Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive

2nd Optical Drive:
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Power Supply:
Corsair TX 750W PSU

Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Primary Monitor:
24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor

Keyboard and Mouse:
Generic Wired Keyboard and Mouse

TOTAL PRICE INC SHIPPING & VAT = £1111 . 19

Questions

Any advice or comments on my build are greatly appreciated

I can upgrade the core i5 to a core i7 for an extra £70 inc vat but not sure if its worth me bothering?

Is Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 a good option in regards to my requirements / what I will be using the pc for?

Do I need the 4.5 ghz overclock on the processor or would 4ghz be sufficient for my needs?

I have upgraded to a 750 watt PSU to future prrof myself for a new graphics card in the future I will never crossfire or sli but will change the gpu as mine becomes older to a newer and better model would a 600 watt corsair be sufficient even if I go with the 4.5ghz overclock?

Final question – Would I be better off uping my budget and getting a Apple iMac ? (I doubt this but wanted to ask as they seem so fast?)

Any other comments and advice would be very welcomed

Thanks in advance

Jurgens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You may want to get windows 7 Pro. for home aint that nice.. the rest are 100% perfect. the cpu at 4GHZ would be just fine. its not so real need to get the i7. the i5 2500k is a really good CPU. and the Anti virus. use the new Kasperskey. thats my personal meaning. if you wan to use Norton. its fine, but i had real big problems with norton, regarding networking and internet banking ect.

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Jurgens,

Thansk for the advice ill stick with the core i5

Would I get the benefit of overclocking the cpu to 4.5ghz which will cost an extra £50+vat (£20 for the overclock and £32 for cpu cooling upgrade)

Or would i be just as well to have the 4ghz overclock which is at no extra cost?

Would there be any benefit of the 4.5ghz OC for what ill be usingthe system for?

Thanks

it'll be a little faster, but thats about it.

I'd suggest a larger SSD. the 40 GB will just hold your OS. go for a 60 or even 120 GB model.

reduce the GPU to the 1 GB version of the 6950 to pay for it if need be. at 1920x1080, the 1 gb will be just about as fast.

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Will I really need the extra SSD upgrade as they can only offer the 120gb version which comes in at an extra £110 + VAT and I knwo the 40gb version is small but its just used in teh SSD caching configuration to speed things up overall as the system sees the two as 1 drive (I think)

Im really pleased at the price this sytem is coming in at and dont really want to push it up that much as Christmas is coming up they only offer a £30 discount for downgrading to teh HD 6950 1GB

Your adviced is very much appreciated

cutebeans

Distinguished

After 4.0ghz, you won't notice any difference.