New to computers built a rig need help amd 1080t and asus m4a89gtd pro.

cj1pate101

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Recently I put together a system with

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ... running on 70 percent fan because it gets hot.

Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1600ELK
set to 1333 for mother board reasons i believe its better. Timings are 7 7 7 21 27

Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,Full mesh design front bezel, comes with Six Fans-1x Front 120mm Fan, 2x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Fan on motherboard tray, 1x Side 200mm Fan, option Fan-1x Bottom 120mm Fan

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2039796

My main problem is when playing games like bfbc2 and 3 I was getting random lag spikes. Recently i noticed the cpu temp was pretty high on start up 54 Celsius so amd sent me a replacement heat sink. I guess iam trying to figure out how to go about getting a better experience out of my graphics card its been flat out unreliable. Tons of popins and randoms frame drops. Sometimes i get great frames then randomly it gets hot i think and drops bad. I keep my amd over drive off but fan set to 70 to keep it cool.

cj1pate101

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

please help me =/

g-unit1111

Titan
What CPU cooler are you using? Are you using the stock AMD cooler or are you using a third party cooler?

If you're using the stock cooler you may want to consider a third party cooler - go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 or maybe a Thermaltake Frio. If you don't want to consider that I'd recommend re-applying your thermal paste or trying some new paste out.

I'm not familiar with AMD processors, so all I can do is help you gather some info so that others can help you.

First, disable (preferably uninstall) anything that can OCcpu and gpu from Windows.

Next, clear CMOS and load (optimized) defaults.

Finally, torture your system with *known* loads. Then measure temps with a known tool and report the results here.

cpu - Prime95
gpu - Furmark will serve OK
temps - CPUID's Hardware Monitor

Now that we know the machine is at stock settings:

Run Prime95 for 30 min, max number of threads, and report temps as well as any errors encountered during P95. If temps continue to climb (ie, do not level off) beyond safe levels, stop the test. Report.

Run Furmark for 15 minutes and report temps. If temps continue to climb beyond safe levels, stop the test. Report.

If you can successfully complete 30 min of P95 and 15 min of Furmark, then run 10 min using both tools, again not allowing temps to climb beyond safe levels. Report.

With that info we can get a better fix on what the problem is.

cj1pate101

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Ok thanks a bunch when I get back later tonight I will report exactly what you asked. My cpu fan is stock btw and I do plan on replacing it soon. Amd sent me a replacement stock fan which did help. I romoved the thermal paste that was on and put the new one. Xfire and team viewer might be a good way about getting back to who ever if anyone uses those tools. I recently removed turbo evo, and only have cool and quite installed. As far as everything else it should be stock settings. Now when u say restart the cmos how exactly do you do that. I know where the battery is just not sure how to remove it properly. I have already set bios to default settings from the bios I believe cmos does even more though?

cj1pate101

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

any one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGJkWs_AlbI
Here is an update of the problem happens in bf3 beta and other games as well. Ial be trying the tests u suggested later on watch the video for an idea.

- Remove plug from wall.
- Open case, remove CMOS battery (note which side of battery is "Up", press silver button at edge of battery holder, shd pop battery out)
- Press the power button on your case 5 times. (PC won't start of course; this discharges residual power on the board.)
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Replace battery, replace cover, plug into wall, boot into BIOS, load and save (optimized) defaults.

cj1pate101

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Just ran fur mark it card hit 75 degrees on default settings. The fans auto settings seem to rise the cards fans to slowly so idk whats up. Was only getting like 7 fps min and 12 max on a hd 6870 is that weird at all?

As I said in my first post, I can't tell you what your memory timings should show. What I can say is that with your mobo set to "auto" my guess is it chose memory timings it was personally comfortable with :)

If you ran Furmark for 15 minutes and gpu temps stopped rising at 75C, that's a good thing. The fan on gpus will operate accroding to its own profile, speeding up as temps rise and hitting max speed (if it needs to) to hold temps at the highest safe operating level the mfg has chosen. So that's good. OTOH, I just ran Furmark Burn-in on the 5870 in this PC and ran 31-37 FPS at 1920x1200. 7-12 seems low.

What happened to cpu tests after 30 min Prime95? And when both P95 and Furmark were run?

g-unit1111

Titan

What I've been told as far as RAM timings go is that when you load the default settings on your motherboard it will always default to lower timing settings than is specified on the chip, so that's normal - you don't have to worry about that.