Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Get me off the fence on a motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
November 17, 2012 3:46:36 PM

I'm building a PC that will focus on media creation and editing, Web development and office applications with little or no gaming. I've decided to go with the 3770K, though I know that the 3930K has advantages for video editing.

I've narrowed my motherboard choice to two. Can you help me get off the fence?

1. Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe -
2. ASrock Extreme9 -

I need at least two Intel SATA III ports and four SATA II ports, which both boards have. I need at least one onboard 3.0 header, which both have, though I'd benefit from the second header on the ASrock. The Asus has the benefit of being set up for a Thunderbolt connection to the motherboard with an add-on card, which I find attractive. And I like the Bios management tools with the ASUS.

I've got some tight spacing with my Hyper 212 Evo cooler and G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM (4x8GB) so if one or the other has more headroom between the CPU and the first row of RAM, that would be helpful.

Which way do I go?

More about : fence motherboard

Best solution

a c 559 V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 4:03:17 PM

ASUS
http://www.futurelooks.com/intel-z77-motherboard-round-...
You can use a liquid cooler (Corsair H whatever) or low profile RAMs.
November 17, 2012 7:37:12 PM

Thanks for the push. I took a look at the Gigabyte UD5H-WB, but the performance numbers look better on the Asus, even though the others may have a bigger suite of ports. Sticking with the P8Z77-V Deluxe.
Score
November 17, 2012 7:37:36 PM

Best answer selected by hogwallow.
Score
!