Sign in with
Your question

New build triple display

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2011 12:25:32 PM

im wondering how u connect a radeon hd6850 to 3 monitors??

do i just connect the 2 X dvi connectors to 2 X monitors and then use a displayport to hdmi or dvi for the 3rd monitor?

sorry if this the wrong section but ust in the middle of building a new pc and wanna make sure this is possible before i buy the monitors

thanks

More about : build triple display

October 18, 2011 12:43:30 PM

yeah i noticed that it had to be an active displayport wasnt sure if that worked as i read that it had to be a monitor with a displayport.
Related resources
October 18, 2011 12:45:53 PM

could i connect the dvi's to the HDMI with the adapters as this would make buying monitors cheaper
October 18, 2011 9:23:37 PM

OK so there are three options for an eyefinity set-up: 1 use an active adaptor to provide the third clock for the third monitor; 2 use a displayport monitor with a built in clock / DAC; and, 3 use a FLEX card which has an inbuilt third clock generator.

The first is the cheapest and most used. I dont quite understand your question, regardless of whether you use DVI-HDMI-DP or DVI-DVI-DP or DVI-DP-DP or whatever combination the above still holds. So in any of the combinations I listed above you will still need an active adaptor to connect the third screen.
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2011 9:52:00 PM

rab2011 said:
could i connect the dvi's to the HDMI with the adapters as this would make buying monitors cheaper

That wouldn't affect the cost of the display only the size would. I'd second the recommendation of using a Sapphire Flex card - you can add multiple displays in HDMI or DVI (with DP adapter) with relative ease.
!