Zip-drive password error

Hi.

I am trying to save a zip-folder with a password. But, I
receive the error, "Cannot create output file" - or
output source...

Also,

It seems that I could just click into a 'password-
protected' folder (ones that I've created in the past),
without having to type my password in... Isn't there a
way to secure a 'file' or folder from someone who
has 'access' to your files/desktop?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about drive password error

    XP does not use password protection schemes to protect files/folders
    (unless you've installed some 3rd software to accomplish this), it has
    and still uses the method of assigning permissions and user access.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:26:16 -0700, Lila Wutki wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am trying to save a zip-folder with a password. But, I
    > receive the error, "Cannot create output file" - or
    > output source...

    If there is a zip drive involved and zip drive software, some of these
    provide their own mechanism to password protect archives.

    If using XP's Compressed Folders only, create the compressed folder. Next
    locate the folder in Windows Explorer. Double click on it so that Explorer
    is displaying the zipped contents. Next click on Explorer's File menu and
    select Add Password.

    To avoid confusion with any additional protection provided by the zip
    drive, you may want to create these folders on the hard drive. Then
    transfer them to other media.

    > Also,
    >
    > It seems that I could just click into a 'password-
    > protected' folder (ones that I've created in the past),
    > without having to type my password in... Isn't there a
    > way to secure a 'file' or folder from someone who
    > has 'access' to your files/desktop?
    >
    > Thanks.

    A .zip file created with XP's "Compressed (zipped) Folder" can be password
    protected. The folder can be opened by other users and they will see a list
    of the contents. However, they will be unable to open the files without
    providing the password.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:26:16 -0700, Lila Wutki wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am trying to save a zip-folder with a password. But, I
    > receive the error, "Cannot create output file" - or
    > output source...
    >
    > Also,
    >
    > It seems that I could just click into a 'password-
    > protected' folder (ones that I've created in the past),
    > without having to type my password in... Isn't there a
    > way to secure a 'file' or folder from someone who
    > has 'access' to your files/desktop?
    >
    > Thanks.

    PS: The security of password protected zip files is pretty lightweight but
    will deter most average users from poking around in your "stuff."
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Straight from XP's Help & Support:
    To protect files in a zipped compressed folder with a password

    1. Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.

    2. Double-click the compressed folder.

    3. On the File menu, click Add a Password.

    4. In the Password box, type a password.

    5. In the Confirm Password box, type the password again.

    Notes

    .. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

    .. Passwords are case sensitive.

    .. You can identify compressed folders by the zipper on the folder icon.

    .. When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no
    longer protected.

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
    <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(FORGET-SPAM)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > XP does not use password protection schemes to protect files/folders
    > (unless you've installed some 3rd software to accomplish this), it has
    > and still uses the method of assigning permissions and user access.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    > "Lila Wutki" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I am trying to save a zip-folder with a password. But, I
    >> receive the error, "Cannot create output file" - or
    >> output source...
    >>
    >> Also,
    >>
    >> It seems that I could just click into a 'password-
    >> protected' folder (ones that I've created in the past),
    >> without having to type my password in... Isn't there a
    >> way to secure a 'file' or folder from someone who
    >> has 'access' to your files/desktop?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

Configuration Zip Disk Microsoft Customization Windows XP