Sign in with
Your question

System Failure

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2011 1:09:08 PM

So i just built my first gaming rig. It was running great for the first couple days, no issues at all. However i left it running overnight last night while downloading a game and this morning i have a black screen and can not get anything to come up on it. It powers on with fans running however my mouse and keyboard get no power and i have no video. I'm thinking its a bad mother board but would like to get a second opinion on what i should do to repair it. Any ideas

More about : system failure

October 18, 2011 1:10:48 PM

joshuajbooth said:
So i just built my first gaming rig. It was running great for the first couple days, no issues at all. However i left it running overnight last night while downloading a game and this morning i have a black screen and can not get anything to come up on it. It powers on with fans running however my mouse and keyboard get no power and i have no video. I'm thinking its a bad mother board but would like to get a second opinion on what i should do to repair it. Any ideas

Heres what im working with

i5 2500k cpu
Sabertooth P67 mobo
PNY gtx580 gpu
8gb Corsair Vengeance LP
650W Antec psu
Nuctua D14 Heatsink
WD caviar black 1tb HDD
m
l
October 18, 2011 5:30:22 PM

did you restart the pc? Are you sure the pc didn't automatically go to hibernate when you left it on for so long?

Do you buy the mb recently or did you use the mb from your previous rig?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2011 5:53:24 PM

You should get a case speaker and figure out the beep codes. If you are getting any it would save a lot of time and guesswork.

It could be the motherboard, it could be the PSU, it could be a bunch of things. Beep codes might just tell you exactly what it is, or the PC might not even be getting that far.

Also, this thread has all the suggestions I'd tell you anyways. Since you already had it booting previously you can skip some of the steps (like checking the power/reset cables to make sure they are in correctly), but it is still useful and it doesn't hurt to double check - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
October 18, 2011 8:09:50 PM

I will install a case speaker as soon as i get home from work and will post anything i find out from it, thanks for the advice i appreciate your time
m
l
October 26, 2011 5:07:03 AM

So after some trouble shooting with an ASUS tech dude it ended up being a toasted motherboard, and at the end of troubleshooting the power supply took a ***. I wouldnt be surprised if the PSU was responsible for the Mobo crapping out. I replaced the mobo with another sabertooth and am currently using a corsair 600W gaming PSU and have the intention of upgrading to the corsair 750W pro gold. I got another question for the masses, would the 750W corsair be adequate if i chose to SLI a second gtx 580 and possibly dabble in some OC'ing? Thanks for y'alls input, the rig is currently running BF3 max specs beautifully at 40-60 fps, best gaming decision ive ever made in my life, never goin back to console :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2011 1:19:45 PM

A 580 draws like 250W. If you SLI them you'll need 500W on 12V (41.6A) not including any other components in the computer. Add on 120-150W for the processor being overclocked, and you are up to 650W on 12V (high end). HDD, Fans, and motherboard probably add another 50W. So the grand total is 705W on the 12V line (or 58A).

Since the corsair 750W pro gold can put out 12V@62A it can probably pull it off. However, if you ever run both GPUs 100% and CPU 100% there is a good chance that there isn't enough power left on the 5V or 3.3V rails, especially if you have a bunch of USB devices plugged in or other peripherals.

You'll probably need a 850W PSU that can put out at least 12V@60A.

m
l
!