Sign in with
Your question

Dual display from an old latop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2011 10:40:43 PM

I have an old laptop HP Pavilion zv6000 and it's LCD display is messed up, so I had to connect it an external monitor. Given the fact that it is relatively so old, would it put more stress on the VGA port if I use a VGA splitter and connect two monitors?

More about : dual display latop

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2011 12:23:22 AM

No. I'd recommend using an active splitter though. Passive ones are, for the most part, junk. It won't "stress" the VGA port though. Now, keep in mind, if you connect several monitors to a VGA port, they will all have the same image. You can't expand your windows desktop that way. It will just be a mirror image across all the monitors. If you want to do a true multimonitor setup, in your case, you'd need to get a USB to VGA/DVI adapter. They typically run around $75 and up, and function like a USB video card basically. They aren't designed for gaming or anything like that, just basic 2D use. Sewell's vDeck (http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-vDeck-USB-to-VGA-Externa...) is a good example. The only downside is that they use the system's CPU for all video acceleration tasks.
m
l
August 19, 2011 12:34:26 AM

Thank you for your response. Also I'm assuming that using the system's CPU resources would definitely have an impact of the longevity of the laptop?! I will be using it for just display purposes only not for any kind of gaming. I'm just about to write my reports and stuff like that!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2011 6:11:42 PM

It won't impact the life of the laptop, i was just saying that since it's basically software rendered video on the second screen, you won't have any hardware acceleration, so things that would be fluid and smooth might not be that way on the USB video device. For what you're doing (typing papers, etc) you would never know the difference.
m
l
!