Performance question evga gtx 570 sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Quick question. I've been running 5770s in xfire for the last year and I've decided to upgrade due to what seems to me to be a great deal on an EVGA gtx 570 sc. Anyways, I'm curious how much of a performance increase I'll see going from the 5770 xfire setup to the 570. From what I understand, the 5770 setup was about equal to a 5870(?), but with the 500s & 6000s cards I'm not sure how my current setup stacks up or how the 570 stacks up. My other concern is if my cpu will bottleneck the card.

Current specs:
i5 750 lynnfield (stock 2.6 ghz)
5770s xfire
asus p7p55d deluxe mobo
4gb gskill ripjayws ddr3
750w antec gamer psu
ocz vertex 60gb ssd
1tb samsung spinpoint f2(f3?) can't remember right now.

The EVGA gtx 570 sc was sold to me for $200, only used for a month by my neighbor, who decided it wasn't enough to use with 3 monitors. He never OC'ed it and actually had it sitting in a box for a few weeks before deciding to sell it. He's been rolling with a 580 SLI setup for the last few weeks.

Anyways, thanks for any input.

Solution
For 200 bux the performance is great. The 570 is around 20% faster than the 5870, and the 5xx series nvidia cards run tesselation and other DX11 features better than the 5xxx series radeon cards. Also running a single more powerful card is imo better than that xfire config because you wont run into scaling issues with the single card that made some games unplayable in xfire or sli upon release until they got a patch out (crysis 2 and Witcher 2)
For 200 bux the performance is great. The 570 is around 20% faster than the 5870, and the 5xx series nvidia cards run tesselation and other DX11 features better than the 5xxx series radeon cards. Also running a single more powerful card is imo better than that xfire config because you wont run into scaling issues with the single card that made some games unplayable in xfire or sli upon release until they got a patch out (crysis 2 and Witcher 2)

Solution

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'll plug it in when I have time to see how much of a difference it'll be. Worse comes to worse I may be able to sell this card for a profit or break even. **maybe**. How about bottlenecking? Will my CPU be good enough or do u think I'll be to OC it? I've tried in the past but was never really successful at achieving stability which is beyond me considering how easy these chips are supposed to be for OCing.

you should be able to get it OCed on stock voltage pretty well, but with a proper OC and for that CPU i would suggest at the least a 3.2 to minimize the bottleneck. 3.2 may require a change in voltage with your cpu;not on stock cooling of course

Some points:

1) It is not worth the upgrade, wait for new cards.
2) the AMD 7000 series comes out roughly Q4 2011. It uses a 28nm process which I estimate will use 2.5X more efficient (2.5x the performance for the same power). It will also have a slightly improved idle power on top of that and other minor updates, although I expect a huge increase in Tesselation capability which won't be truly needed in any games yet (but eventually).
3) The NVidia 600 series comes out roughly Q2 2012. I'm buying one of these to upgrade my HD5870. My HD5870 works pretty good overall, but I have several games which stutter slightly no matter what and I 'd also like a little more Anti-Aliasing. It seems kind of picky but I have the money and love games.
4) CPU overclocking?
No. Your CPU can handle roughly TWO of the HD5870's before an overclock would make a difference.

Every game is different, but the easiest way to see if an overclock makes a difference is to use the Task Manager:
1) open TM
2) show All CPU threads under "processes"
3) view set to "slow update" and show all graphs
4) I believe you have no Hyperthreads. Those that do should ignore very 2nd graph. You should be seeing four graphs for the CPU.
5) Leave TM running, start a video game and play for at least 5 minutes.

Analysis:
Is a single core hitting 100% usage? If not, then overclock would provide no benefit. Also, how CLOSE the cores are to hitting 100% gives you a rough idea how much you could improve the graphics in your system before overclocking would be needed.

The better a graphics card, the more it taxes the CPU. Two cards use almost exactly TWICE the processing power.

haseebkahn3

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
HELP ME CHOOSE GPU!!!
I have HP m8200n
Chipset:NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Proc:Athlon 64 X2 3.00ghz 6000+ dual core
4gb DDR2 RAM
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
300WATT Lite-On PSU

Don't highjack another person's thread. Start one of your own.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Well I slapped it in my rig to see how big of a difference it'd make in a few games (BC2, Rift) and the games definitely feel smoother. I'm gaming at 1920x1280 or something like that. I'll prob take it off his hands and pass down my 5770s to my son. The main thing I'm concerned with though is that he's playing a 6 yr old system. Here's his specs if I remember right:

amd athlon 64 4400+
asus a8n32sli delux platinum
2gb ddr
8800gt
600 antec psu

I slapped in 1 5770 and bc2 didn't seem like it gained any performance. I'm pretty sure the cpu is holding back the 5770 so it might be time to do an upgrade on his system.

haseebkahn3

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

I know its unethical but i have tried starting my own thread and no one replies... :(
PLZ, help me out
you are an expert after all

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

The CPU is definitely holding him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.