Phenom II X4 970 BE vs 955 BE and CPU temp

tallgeese

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting something sorted out and I need your expertise. Right now my computer is decent except for the CPU, which is an Athlon II X2 250. It idles around 23c, during web browsing and multimedia use it jumps to about 26c-28c and when under 100% usage (thanks Sony Vegas) is peaks at 39c. I've read that these are very good temps for a CPU.

Now, here lies the problem. I want a quad-core so all my video rendering with Sony Vegas is faster and easier and for gaming purposes.

I was looking at the Phenom II X4 970 BE, but I hear that it idles around 40c-45c (higher than my Athlon under load) and under load it jumps to 60c+. Is it this okay? Or something to be worried about? I don't have any extra fans. I only have stock fans and my case, which is very well ventilated with only the mobo-mounted side not having any airflow. All other sides of the case, like I said, have vents.

So here's my question: is this enough to keep a 970 BE cool enough or should I downgrade to a 955 BE? Will the 955 BE get less hot as it is not as powerful? So many questions...

Thanks for any help :)