Desktop for VFX work (3D Rendering)

ILLIAM003

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hello, I am in need of a computer for less than $1000 after shipping and handling, hopefully within the $700-$900 price range. It will be primarily used for digital work such as 3D modeling, rendering, Adobe Products, and compositing, a VFX computer. I know I want an i7, 8GB of ram with the ability to upgrade to 16GB in the future, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 video card or one of its calibur, a DVD/CD burner (doesn't have to be top of the line, just basic reading, and burning of CD's and DVD's. A power supply of at least 600 watts that won't overheat easily. 500GB-1TB of HDD space, a HDD that isn't insanely loud, and one that is reliable (I don't want a HDD that is notorious for failing on its owners, and yes I know all electronics fail at some point, but I don't want there being an overall chance that it's going to fail within 3 months). I don't need a monitor, mouse, or keyboard, that is taken care of already. The case which houses all of these goodies needs to have good ventilation. I would like the cheapest yet most efficient desktop out there, from a reliable source. If I have to build it myself, so be it, it just needs to be considerably cheaper than buying it pre-built. I think that pretty much covers it, anything I left off that you think would be necessary, please don't hesitate to suggest. I'm kind of in a hurry for this, so quick replies please and thank you.

P.S. The exact programs I will be using are Lighwave, Maya, ZBrush, Nuke, and Fusion, along with any FPS I come across that I like on Steam. Also, I don't know everything there is to know about computer guts. I know about RAM, HDD space, and when your computer chugs to display graphics it's generally a sign your video card isn't up to snuff. Anything else and I'm ignorant about it, any help understanding your reply's would be much appreciated!

cutebeans

Distinguished
i7-2600k
Asrock z68 pro3 (only 1 video card can be used at a time)
or Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 ( can be SLI)
Antec Earthwatts 650w
G.skill Ripjaws 2x4gb
Samsung Spinpoint F3
HAF 912
Samsung 22x DVD Burner

Good luck!

ILLIAM003

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Thanks for the quick reply! This might be asking much, but although I use computers for my career, I'm one step above the average user in knowledge, I should have mentioned that in post. I know all about RAM for the most part, like the different compatibility and sizes, available slots, the more I have the faster my renders will go. I know that my video card controls how fast and easily my models and whatnot appear on screen without glitching out. You get the point, what I was hoping if it wasn't too much trouble was whether or not you could give me a short explanation on each item, and known pros and cons, if not it's cool, I understand it's time consuming.

cutebeans

Distinguished
This is the best you can get for the money.
What is your budget anyway?
Do you plan to SLI or crossfire?

The i7-2600k is one of the best processors for doing anything intensive like what you are doing right now because of the Hyperthreading technology with it. (google hyperthreading)

You won't need a GPU for your work though. Most of the programs, you use are CPU intensive, you can even use integrated graphics card for it. The video card doesn't control how fast your models will appear but the CPU.

If you plan on playing games, it's a different story. The 550ti is one of the worst bang for buck you can get. I would suggest an ATI 6870.

HAF stands for High Airflow. High Airflow means cooler parts = Longer lifespan.

The ram is the best for the system (That's all).

The samsung spinpoint hard drive is one of the best 1tb hard drive you can buy with the money.

Since I think you won't be planning to crossfire, I suggested the best bang for buck motherboard(first one) that can hold up to 16gb of ram if you want to.

The Antec PSU is a reliable brand, the only reason I recommended the antec is because you wanted a 600w PSU. A good Corsair CX500 which is cheaper but still a great quality PSU can easily handle the system.

TRENDING THREADS