Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded mobo & CPU....BLUE SCREEN on Windows boot!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2012 12:36:30 AM

Swapped out my older AMD CPU & Biostar mobo for an Intel i5 3570kand ASRock Z77 1155 Pro4 motherboard.

BIOS works fine. When I hit the Windows 7 x64 splash screen it loads for only a sec, then freezes and jumps into a BSOD.

This is probably only the 4th computer I've built/upgraded.

One thing that was new to me was that the ASRock 1115 board had an 8-pin ATX12v1 insert. However, my PSU has a 4-pin.

Do I need to do a Windows reinstall/repair to match the CPU/mobo change? Never had to do that before....in fact, this is the first major upgrade I've done that didn't load right up.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:57:57 AM

You need to rainstall Windows when you change boards. It is almost always a must, especially if they have different chipsets.
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:38:56 AM

Well maybe IT IS power related.....bcz now it wont turn on AT ALL.

Hopefully, its not cuz I damaged something.

Dont PSU's usually have some light on it that tells u that its at least getting power or something? This one doesnt. Its a Thermaltake 350w...about 5-6yrs old maybe.

Ugh....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 2:58:58 AM

JLiRD808 said:
Well maybe IT IS power related.....bcz now it wont turn on AT ALL.

Hopefully, its not cuz I damaged something.

Dont PSU's usually have some light on it that tells u that its at least getting power or something? This one doesnt. Its a Thermaltake 350w...about 5-6yrs old maybe.

Ugh....

Yes, that PSU is crap, but you'll have to rainstall Windows anyway. You simply CANNOT move to a mobo with different chipset without reinstalling windows because windows was configured for your original mobo.

Does your mobo gets any power? There should be a light on the mobo.
m
l
!