Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P8Z77-V Deluxe in BIOS limbo (switches off and doesn't switch back on)

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2012 12:45:10 AM

Hi guys,

I wouldn't trouble the peace here if I had any other choice, but I really really need your help desperately.

===My specs===
* Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro (BIOS: v1709)
* Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 (3.4Ghz)
* RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX (16GB)
* SSD: Kingston SH100S3/240G (240GB)
* HDD: Western Digital WD1002FAEX (1TB)
* PSU: Seasonic X650 (650W Gold, modular)
* ODD: Asus BW-12B1ST (BluRay)
I will be purchasing the following by the end of this November:
* VGA: EVGA GTX 660Ti (2GB)
* HDD (replacement to above): Western Digital WD2002FAEX (2TB)
* PSU (replacement to above): Antec EA-550 (550W Platinum, non-modular)

===My issues and understandings===
The board's boot/POST environment is very unstable. To define unstable: Whether I press the on-board power switch or the external power switch, it takes a while (5-60 seconds) to switch on/power-up. Sometimes it just switches on and goes back off/S5, and then either stays off or turns back on automatically after about 5secs. Once it passes the POST state (once things show up on display), everything goes just as it should.

But, a big fat but, if things does come on display, the POST screen shows an error (sometimes "Overclocking failed!" and sometimes nothing) and prompts me to enter F1 for setup. My way around it: I enter setup, and simply escape and discard changes. It then peacefully goes to Windows. Done deal. No issues at all in OS. It only comes back up the next time I reboot. (I do not overclock anything or tweak anything in anyway. All auto overclocking I know of is always disabled.)

My way around it if nothing comes up on display (when PC stays in S5/off state when I press the power button):
When I press the red CLR_CMOS onboard button (when the PC is in S5 state), it switches on just as normal. Note that I do this with the system in shut-down/S5 state.

Based on my little CSI investigation on the motherboard, I have noticed the following (which may or may not actually relate to the above):
1. I have noticed that a mobo/processor pin on the lower left of the socket is very very slightly bent and lower than others. (I've actually used a portable microscope on this)
2. There were some ants (about 5-10) in the casing some time back. But there are none now.
3. Usual running temperatures are normal. Based on CPUID, 51°C, 60°C, 38°C, 44°C are the upper limits of Mainboard, Processor, SSD, and HDD respectively.

===Warranty===
I have purchased this product (and all others) during my holiday in Manhattan at Micro Center Yonkers, and I'm now with it, back at home on the other side of the planet, in Colombo, Sri Lanka. At the store, I told them that I'll be leaving the States, and wont be back anytime soon, and to thoroughly test/check the product for any defects. They took a whole epic hour (I'm not exaggerating) just to do a POST test... :/ 

Now Asus says that if I am to claim warranty or request after-sales service, I should hand over the product back to the original store, which is ridiculous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hell, I might even paste you name in my casing for your eternal honour!

More about : p8z77 deluxe bios limbo switches switch back

a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 1:16:09 AM

It is some automatic overclocking setting in the BIOS. Sorry, I don't remember what the setting was called. I generally hit the same problem every time I flash my BIOS on my old machine and have to dink with the settings to locate and turn off the overclock.
Its been while but I think my cause was because I mixed some fast RAM with some sticks of Slower RAM and the motherboard was clocking them all at the overclock speed and I had go enter the RAM timing for each bank to get it to work correctly.
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:30:52 AM

johnbl said:
It is some automatic overclocking setting in the BIOS. Sorry, I don't remember what the setting was called. I generally hit the same problem every time I flash my BIOS on my old machine and have to dink with the settings to locate and turn off the overclock.
Its been while but I think my cause was because I mixed some fast RAM with some sticks of Slower RAM and the motherboard was clocking them all at the overclock speed and I had go enter the RAM timing for each bank to get it to work correctly.

Mmm, I don't know... Thing is I am using a Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX four-kit bundle, and not separate modules... And it's on its inbuilt XMP profile. I have also tried flashing my bios (changing between 3 version since purchase), and also fully powering down and removing CMOS battery to clear settings...

Another twist: After I change BIOS settings (to whatever settings) and reboot, it goes back to limbo... So it's really really weird... :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 2:52:27 AM

Under clock your memory and see if it boots. or Pull two slots of memory and see if it boots. On my older board they actually had a disclaimer that indicated I could not run all of my memory slots at the 1600 speed. only 2 slots at 1600, if you put in all 4 slots you had to drop the speed. You should check if they changed it or improved it. The BIOS would try to clock all the chips at the higher speed and it would fail on board. Ya, I know it sounds kind of stupid.
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:23:22 AM

I have your same MOBO and had a similar issues. my problem was a short in the USBs on the front of my case i unplugged the headers and that fixed it hope this helps.
m
l
November 18, 2012 7:40:13 AM

Lroy said:
I have your same MOBO and had a similar issues. my problem was a short in the USBs on the front of my case i unplugged the headers and that fixed it hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, Lroy. Just tried that, but unfortunately it's the same story... :'( 
m
l

Best solution

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 7:58:55 AM

I would test the board outside the case, with a minimum configuation (one RAM stick, onboard graphics, DVD drive, keyboard and mouse).
Have you tried straightening the pin?
November 18, 2012 2:10:55 PM

alexoiu said:
I would test the board outside the case, with a minimum configuation (one RAM stick, onboard graphics, DVD drive, keyboard and mouse).
Have you tried straightening the pin?

I have tried testing it to a minimal (only SSD and all 4 sticks), but I haven't actually taken the whole board out... An option to try. I hope to do that over the course of next week, when/if I come early from work. I also to hope to take this board to the Asus office this Saturday, and see what they say, face-to-face (if I don't fix it by then).

I did try straightening the pin, with utmost care and patience (using a safety pin). I think the pin itself is alright now. It's just fractions of a millimeter off-alignment now...
m
l
November 24, 2012 2:49:44 PM

Okay, here's the update...

I was not able to go to Asus... But, I was able to take the board out and do a test; the results were indeed surprising!

The board worked perfectly (thanks alexoiu)! Surprising how little things which we never thought could be the issue, could finally be the culprit...

Apparently the pricky little pins from the back of the mobo made contact with the metal casing... My solution: I pasted thick paper on the surface of the casing behind the board. Worked perfectly. This is not a good long term solution, but just enough till I get my PS06 casing in Jan/Feb.
m
l
November 25, 2012 12:12:27 AM

I've also changed my PSU from the Seasonic X650 to the Antec EA550 on the time of that test. That 'could' also be what took the trouble away. I'm not sure. (Just posting in case someone else is in a similar situation).
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:44:29 PM

Best answer selected by Rehman5000.
m
l
!