Nvidia Surround Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armored

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hey guys, I'm obviously new here, so don't laugh at my question... I have 2x Zotac 9800 GTs in SLi and I was wondering if they are supported in Nvidia's new Surround technology... I want to setup three displays REALLY badly. So badly that I would sell these graphics card and sell them on craigslist... So if they aren't supported, What affordable graphics cards are supported that you would recommend?

I have 16GB of Kingston HyperX 1600MHz (OC'd to 1800MHz) and a i7-920 (OC'd to 4.2GHz) So my other specs are fine, I just want this to work! I am planning to buy another 2x LG Flatron M2762D screens.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Jacques

Solution
It would be nice if you were more specific as to the exact usage. Is this mainly for gaming?

BTW, I'm not a big fan of multiple screens, the gaps between screens are pretty annoying when gaming. I personally have a Dell U2711 (27" 2560x1440). I absolutely love it for gaming. It's kind of expensive though.

Back to graphics cards:
GTX 275's for $200?

Some info on recommended cards:
1) GTX560Ti (about $230. recommend Asus or MSI version)
- supports Surround bet you need two. recommended if you decide on a single monitor

2) 2xGTX560 (roughly $330 for TWO cards)
- recommended if you want two monitors

3) AMD6870
- not NVidia obviously but I it supports at least two monitors in AMD's "Eyefinity" mode

4) AMD 7000 series (Q4 2011?)
- may...
It would be nice if you were more specific as to the exact usage. Is this mainly for gaming?

BTW, I'm not a big fan of multiple screens, the gaps between screens are pretty annoying when gaming. I personally have a Dell U2711 (27" 2560x1440). I absolutely love it for gaming. It's kind of expensive though.

Back to graphics cards:
GTX 275's for $200?

Some info on recommended cards:
1) GTX560Ti (about $230. recommend Asus or MSI version)
- supports Surround bet you need two. recommended if you decide on a single monitor

2) 2xGTX560 (roughly $330 for TWO cards)
- recommended if you want two monitors

3) AMD6870
- not NVidia obviously but I it supports at least two monitors in AMD's "Eyefinity" mode

4) AMD 7000 series (Q4 2011?)
- may use as little as 1/3rd the power of the 6000 series. No other details yet.

5) NVidia 600 series (Q2 2012?)
- will use as little as 1/3rd the power of the 500 series and FAR less power than any model before that.

**Your problem:
If you are planning to play video games on two or three monitors and the obvious problem of the bezel between screens doesn't deter you, then your main problem is that you need to have sufficient Graphics Processing Power to do this or else you have to turn down the quality a lot.

Would you rather play on multiple monitors with low quality than on a single monitor with high quality?

Anyway, even a 2xGTX275 sucks for many new games and the technology is really outdated now.

Summary:
- if on a budget, get a single monitor and at least a GTX560 graphics card
- if you decide on two monitors get a 2xGTX560 or 2xGTX560Ti setup
- if you decide on three monitors get a GTX560Ti or GTX570 setup
- I highly recommend waiting for the new NVidia's next year, or at least the AMD's (this year?) if the AMD's do what you want.
- if you want 3D you have to not only have supported monitors but your graphics cards must then be TWICE as powerful as your present setup. I wouldn't dream of setting up THREE MONITORS with 3D until the next NVidia cards come out.

Anyway, the setup you are suggesting would never support new games on multiple monitors at a satisfying quality.

I still recommend something more like a single 23", 1920x1080 monitor with a single GTX560Ti if buying now.

Solution
Your RAM:
Unless you do video editing, AND that program can utilize more than 8GB of your RAM you should simply remove 8GB of RAM.

There is absolutely no scenario where your PC will run better with more than 8GB of RAM. In fact, it's a very small upgrade over 4GB and basically unnoticeable with an SSD for Windows.

16GB vs 8GB only adds heat into the case which cause all variable fans to speed up, including your graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.