Long lifespan budget gaming rig

mrvhatever

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I think, of the current CPUs I'm pretty set on getting a i5 2500k. The only real debate is what gfx card to pair with it. I was initially planning on grabbing a 6950 and flashing it to 6970, and when the card haad started showing its age, xfire another card.

But I apparently missed the bus on these cards, and finding cards still able to do this with seems to be a wild. goose chase.

So then I figured I'd do the same thing with a 560 ti. It also saves me from the fear of ATI driver, especially scary when you consider holding onto cards for 4-5 years.

My case will be budget, too, probably 50ish dollar range. So does that any kind of concern running cards like these in throwing off heat? Like I said, i want the system to last for a long time. It obviously isnt intended to have the highest settings and run everything flawlessly that entire time.

Any thoughts on this? I run all sorts of game types in 1920x1080.
Any cards that might be better cost/effectiveness over a 5 year cycle?

Also, is there expected to be any big drop in cards(or CPUs) prices in the next 3-4 months?

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Personally I upgrade my single card setup about every two years. I think that's the best way to spend the money while keeping on the top of technology. In three to 4 years or less there will be a single card that is faster than the sli/crossfire setup your proposing. I only recommend CF/sli if people are using more than one monitor or crazy high resolutions of over 2500 or something like that.

My 2 cent opinion would be to buy a really good single card like a gtx 570 or 6970. Sell it in a year or two, and do the same thing.

mrvhatever

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I used to go on a 3 year cycle, but with the console albatross wrapped around PC gaming's neck, I switched to 4-5 year. I've never much cared for the idea of selling a card after I used for a year or whatever. You never know what kind of loss you are going to take. I think in a year or two you would be very hard pressed to sell a 570 for more than a 100 bucks. But in a year or two it should be easy to pick up a 560ti for 100 bucks and save you from having to make a replacement card upgrade. If not closer to 50 bucks if you go through ebay or whatnot. I find it highly unlikely that in say 1.5-2 years there will be a card for 200-250 dollars that comes close to 2 OC'd SLI'd 560TI's. Additionally, say in a year 1.5, a card dies. Not a big deal for me, huge deal for you.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Why do you assume any of this is a big deal to me? LOL I assure you money is not an issue, I'm simply trying to help you with your decision and yes save you some money. From now on I'll just recommend the most expensive option or just agree with the poster, how's that, better? By the way in 5 years your sli setup will be lacking in many features like direct x 12 and a zillion new ones that have yet to be implemented, but not a huge deal, good luck