Start | Run | Browse location

I would like to change the default location for Browse in
the Run window. Windows 2000 always remembered the last
run location folder but XP always defaults to My
Documents. How can I change the location?

| "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote in message news:85b001c47828$4fa7abb0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| I would like to change the default location for Browse in
| the Run window. Windows 2000 always remembered the last
| run location folder but XP always defaults to My
| Documents. How can I change the location?

AFAIK that setting is hard-coded and cannot by changed from:

%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%.

-- One option that might be an acceptable workaround:

Since it uses the Explorer-style Common Dialog Box with a Places
Bar you could customize the Places Bar, (the vertical button bar
at the left-hand side in the dialog box). Then all you would
have to do is click a "button" to open the desired folder. Note
that the Common Dialog Box is a systemwide resource. As such,
customizations will affect all applications that use it, such as
Notepad, Paint, Internet Explorer, etc.

There are a numerous methods you can use to customize the
Places Bar...

- For a manual method to customize the Places Bar by editing the
Registry see the following Web Page:

Windows & .NET Magazine
August 2001 | Dino Esposito | Scripting Solutions
Instant Doc #21539
Customize the Places Bar
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21539

- If this is your home computer, a Windows XP Professional
stand-alone computer that you administer, then you could run the
Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), locate the following policy and
configure the Places Bar as desired:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
Common Open File Dialog: Items displayed in Places Bar

About Group Policies, keep in mind that for a Windows XP
Professional stand-alone computer, only one local Group Policy
object exists. As such, every policy set using the Group Policy
console will effect every
user of the computer, including the built-in Administrator.

For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
Search Match by that title.

- If you have TweakUI installed, you can use it to configure the
Places Bar. For more information, and a graphic of the TweakUI
setting, see the following Web Page (which also includes
information on Registry settings for the PlacesBar):

Microsoft Learning
Sample Chapter from Microsoft® Windows XP® Registry Guide
By Jerry Honeycutt
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp#122

-- Another option that might be an acceptable workaround:

If you are like me and millions of others who do not actually use
My Documents to store documents. But who do have numerous other
folders for information storage...

You could use "My Documents" as a container for shortcuts to the
folders that you frequently use. Then, when My Documents pops up
like it does when you click Start | Run | Browse... and all those
other times, all you have to do is double-click the shortcut to
the desired folder.

The Places Bar works great for me. Thanks for the tip!

Doug