Start | Run | Browse location

I would like to change the default location for Browse in
the Run window. Windows 2000 always remembered the last
run location folder but XP always defaults to My
Documents. How can I change the location?
2 answers Last reply
More about start browse location

    | "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote in message news:85b001c47828$4fa7abb0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    | I would like to change the default location for Browse in
    | the Run window. Windows 2000 always remembered the last
    | run location folder but XP always defaults to My
    | Documents. How can I change the location?

    AFAIK that setting is hard-coded and cannot by changed from:

    %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%.

    -- One option that might be an acceptable workaround:

    Since it uses the Explorer-style Common Dialog Box with a Places
    Bar you could customize the Places Bar, (the vertical button bar
    at the left-hand side in the dialog box). Then all you would
    have to do is click a "button" to open the desired folder. Note
    that the Common Dialog Box is a systemwide resource. As such,
    customizations will affect all applications that use it, such as
    Notepad, Paint, Internet Explorer, etc.

    There are a numerous methods you can use to customize the
    Places Bar...

    - For a manual method to customize the Places Bar by editing the
    Registry see the following Web Page:

    Windows & .NET Magazine
    August 2001 | Dino Esposito | Scripting Solutions
    Instant Doc #21539
    Customize the Places Bar
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21539

    - If this is your home computer, a Windows XP Professional
    stand-alone computer that you administer, then you could run the
    Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), locate the following policy and
    configure the Places Bar as desired:

    Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
    Common Open File Dialog: Items displayed in Places Bar

    About Group Policies, keep in mind that for a Windows XP
    Professional stand-alone computer, only one local Group Policy
    object exists. As such, every policy set using the Group Policy
    console will effect every
    user of the computer, including the built-in Administrator.

    For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
    Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
    Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
    systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
    Search Match by that title.

    - If you have TweakUI installed, you can use it to configure the
    Places Bar. For more information, and a graphic of the TweakUI
    setting, see the following Web Page (which also includes
    information on Registry settings for the PlacesBar):

    Microsoft Learning
    Sample Chapter from Microsoft® Windows XP® Registry Guide
    By Jerry Honeycutt
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp#122

    -- Another option that might be an acceptable workaround:

    If you are like me and millions of others who do not actually use
    My Documents to store documents. But who do have numerous other
    folders for information storage...

    You could use "My Documents" as a container for shortcuts to the
    folders that you frequently use. Then, when My Documents pops up
    like it does when you click Start | Run | Browse... and all those
    other times, all you have to do is double-click the shortcut to
    the desired folder.

    The Places Bar works great for me. Thanks for the tip!

    Doug

Configuration Windows 2000 Microsoft Customization Windows XP