I5 - 760 Lynnfield + Grpahics card question

Rhaza

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi All

Please bare with me as i don't really know a lot about computers but i am keen to learn.

I currently have the i5-760 Lynnfield CPU, i was wondering whats the best graphics card i can get before things start getting bottle necked (iv'e heard of the phrase but I don't fully understand it).

Also, if someone wouldn't mind telling me a bit about how this works or point me in the right direction of where to read it that would be a great help too!

My rig is set out below:

Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Regards

Rhaz

Wolfshadw

Titan
"Bottleneck" simply refers to one component having to wait on another component to complete it's task before passing on the next one. Think of it like people waiting in line at the bank. There are four tellers and ten people in line. In this example, the tellers are the bottleneck as the people in line have to wait until the next teller is available.

All systems bottleneck at some point; be it the processor, graphics card, RAM, or hard drive. There is no getting around it, but fortunately, unless it's a serious bottleneck, we don't notice it.

As far as your rig is concerned, you could probably put any single (and probably most dual) graphic card solution in there and not worry about it.

-Wolf sends