Over-The-Head Bluetooth Headset: Exists?

Last response: in Technologies
November 15, 2004 10:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.celluar.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

I'm trying to find a QUALITY over-the-head w/long boom
form factor Bluetooth headset to use with my Nokia 6230.
I don't understand the current mania for tiny little
earsets that don't fit all ears, that fall off, and who's mics
are so far from the mouth that sound quality suffers,
especially in a windy city like San Francisco (where I live).

I'd use a good wired headset, except that there are almost
no non-earbud-style headsets for the Nokia pop-port, either.

It seems like the "coolness factor" is overriding the
"practicality and sound quality" factor in Bluetooth headsets
lately.

Does anyone know of any company that makes what I'm looking
for? There's one by Logitec that's kind of clunky, but that's
all I've found.

- Tim

November 15, 2004 11:58:59 PM

Spammay Blockay wrote:
> I'm trying to find a QUALITY over-the-head w/long boom
> form factor Bluetooth headset to use with my Nokia 6230.
> I don't understand the current mania for tiny little
> earsets that don't fit all ears, that fall off, and who's mics
> are so far from the mouth that sound quality suffers,
> especially in a windy city like San Francisco (where I live).

HP make one for the iPAC:
http://davesipaq.com/articles/iPAQ_HP_Bluetooth_headpho...
So something similar which will work with phones shouldn't be too far ahead
when they support the necessary profile. Tiny in-ear sets take up very
little room but I also hate them.

Regards
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:14:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.celluar.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

FWIW, I've found the over-the-ear style Sony Ericsson HBH-30 (available on
eBay) to be as good as, and at least as comfortable as, wired headsets. The
boom is long enough for very good sound quality and noise canceling. I've
even used it successfully when sailboat racing on San Francisco Bay (even
windier than The City:) .

In <cnavki$6se$1@bolt.sonic.net> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:21:55 GMT,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

>I'm trying to find a QUALITY over-the-head w/long boom
>form factor Bluetooth headset to use with my Nokia 6230.
>I don't understand the current mania for tiny little
>earsets that don't fit all ears, that fall off, and who's mics
>are so far from the mouth that sound quality suffers,
>especially in a windy city like San Francisco (where I live).
>
>I'd use a good wired headset, except that there are almost
>no non-earbud-style headsets for the Nokia pop-port, either.
>
>It seems like the "coolness factor" is overriding the
>"practicality and sound quality" factor in Bluetooth headsets
>lately.
>
>Does anyone know of any company that makes what I'm looking
>for? There's one by Logitec that's kind of clunky, but that's
>all I've found.
>
>- Tim

November 22, 2004 2:38:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.celluar.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

In article <H_8md.5466$_3.71516@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>FWIW, I've found the over-the-ear style Sony Ericsson HBH-30 (available on
>eBay) to be as good as, and at least as comfortable as, wired headsets. The
>boom is long enough for very good sound quality and noise canceling. I've
>even used it successfully when sailboat racing on San Francisco Bay (even
>windier than The City:) .

Thanks John! I've been looking around San Francisco for a place that
carries them, but nobody seems to except SF Mobile, and they're on
backorder. I want to try one on before I buy it, as I've already
sent back a Bluetrek headset I bought from expansys.com, and don't
want the hassel.

I can't tell which the "current" model is -- the HBH-30, HBH-35,
or HBH-300. The 300 looks like the one I want, though.

- Tim

November 22, 2004 10:19:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.celluar.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cnr8tr$2oj$1@bolt.sonic.net> on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:38:36 GMT,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

>In article <H_8md.5466$_3.71516@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>FWIW, I've found the over-the-ear style Sony Ericsson HBH-30 (available on
>>eBay) to be as good as, and at least as comfortable as, wired headsets. The
>>boom is long enough for very good sound quality and noise canceling. I've
>>even used it successfully when sailboat racing on San Francisco Bay (even
>>windier than The City:) .
>
>Thanks John! I've been looking around San Francisco for a place that
>carries them, but nobody seems to except SF Mobile, and they're on
>backorder. I want to try one on before I buy it, as I've already
>sent back a Bluetrek headset I bought from expansys.com, and don't
>want the hassel.
>
>I can't tell which the "current" model is -- the HBH-30, HBH-35,
>or HBH-300. The 300 looks like the one I want, though.

The older HBH-30 is the best of the bunch IMHO.

November 22, 2004 10:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.celluar.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

In article <pqgod.6751$_3.84779@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>>I can't tell which the "current" model is -- the HBH-30, HBH-35,
>>or HBH-300. The 300 looks like the one I want, though.
>
>The older HBH-30 is the best of the bunch IMHO.

Have you tried them all?

In any casee, my *main* problem is the fit of the thing.
I want it to be TIGHT, *clamped* to my head or ear, and not
wiggly like every over-the-ear headset I've tried. They all feel
about to fall off (and, indeed, have easily fallen off when I
wag my head from side to side, despite my attempts to secure
them).

Looking at all of these models (the HBH-30, 35 and 300), they all seem
to have the same method of over-the-ear attachment, and it doesn't
look any more secure than others I've tried.

Have you found it to be more secure than others? Does it still have
that wiggly feeling? And does the speaker actually go INTO the ear?
For an over-the-ear model, I'd need that, since none of them I've tried
have the speaker positioned close enough to my ear... they sort of hang
in space off the side.

- Tim

November 23, 2004 10:51:12 AM

In <cntd53$ugp$1@bolt.sonic.net> on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:02:59 GMT,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

>In article <pqgod.6751$_3.84779@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>>I can't tell which the "current" model is -- the HBH-30, HBH-35,
>>>or HBH-300. The 300 looks like the one I want, though.
>>
>>The older HBH-30 is the best of the bunch IMHO.
>
>Have you tried them all?

No -- I'm relying on reviews and reports.

>In any casee, my *main* problem is the fit of the thing.
>I want it to be TIGHT, *clamped* to my head or ear, and not
>wiggly like every over-the-ear headset I've tried. They all feel
>about to fall off (and, indeed, have easily fallen off when I
>wag my head from side to side, despite my attempts to secure
>them).
>
>Looking at all of these models (the HBH-30, 35 and 300), they all seem
>to have the same method of over-the-ear attachment, and it doesn't
>look any more secure than others I've tried.
>
>Have you found it to be more secure than others? Does it still have
>that wiggly feeling? And does the speaker actually go INTO the ear?
>For an over-the-ear model, I'd need that, since none of them I've tried
>have the speaker positioned close enough to my ear... they sort of hang
>in space off the side.

As I wrote, I've even used the HBH-30 successfully when sailboat racing on San
Francisco Bay. I've never been concerned about it falling off. The speaker
fits right on the ear, and is sufficiently loud to be heard over the wind.

November 28, 2004 11:11:04 PM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <cntd53$ugp$1@bolt.sonic.net> on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:02:59 GMT,
> SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

> >>The older HBH-30 is the best of the bunch IMHO.
> >
> >Have you tried them all?
>
> No -- I'm relying on reviews and reports.
>
> >In any casee, my *main* problem is the fit of the thing.
> >I want it to be TIGHT, *clamped* to my head or ear, and not
> >wiggly like every over-the-ear headset I've tried. They all feel
> >about to fall off (and, indeed, have easily fallen off when I
> >wag my head from side to side, despite my attempts to secure
> >them).
> >
> >Looking at all of these models (the HBH-30, 35 and 300), they all seem
> >to have the same method of over-the-ear attachment, and it doesn't
> >look any more secure than others I've tried.
> >
> >Have you found it to be more secure than others? Does it still have
> >that wiggly feeling? And does the speaker actually go INTO the ear?
> >For an over-the-ear model, I'd need that, since none of them I've tried
> >have the speaker positioned close enough to my ear... they sort of hang
> >in space off the side.
>
> As I wrote, I've even used the HBH-30 successfully when sailboat racing on
San
> Francisco Bay. I've never been concerned about it falling off. The
speaker
> fits right on the ear, and is sufficiently loud to be heard over the wind.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

I currently use the Motorola HS810 w/ an ericsson T39m phone and I am
overall satisfied. The issue here is the fit of the thing. It may appear too
simple to be stable but it fits rather snuggly. I guess it just matters how
vigorously you "wag" your head. If in fact you wag quite heavy you might
consider liquid nails (they make it available in a tube so it won't be too
messy) or a small woodworkers clamp or better yet have someone sew it right
on your ear. Please don't take offense, I could'nt resist. Inasmuch as the
headset is pretty slick it would be closer to perfect if the mic. arm would
actually position the mic. closer to ones mouth and not their sideburn (men
that is). If I could only just have my way I would feel really good!
Daniel
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:00:24 AM

In <6bCdnUnjGoey6jfcRVn-3A@comcast.com> on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:11:04 -0800,
"Daniel Cairns" <cutmedan@comcast.net> wrote:

>> As I wrote, I've even used the HBH-30 successfully when sailboat racing on San
>> Francisco Bay. I've never been concerned about it falling off. The speaker
>> fits right on the ear, and is sufficiently loud to be heard over the wind.

>I currently use the Motorola HS810 w/ an ericsson T39m phone and I am
>overall satisfied. The issue here is the fit of the thing. It may appear too
>simple to be stable but it fits rather snuggly. I guess it just matters how
>vigorously you "wag" your head. If in fact you wag quite heavy you might
>consider liquid nails (they make it available in a tube so it won't be too
>messy) or a small woodworkers clamp or better yet have someone sew it right
>on your ear. ...

Or simply wear a cap that comes down over the ear.